Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can someone fill me in about air bags please

blair44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S UTE
hey guys in looking into putting a full selt of bags on my ute but i know nothing about then lol mainly for work but abit of fun aswell but ive being reading a few people and some say that they are allowed and some say they arent in brisbane bit confusing. would someone be able to fill me in alittle about this?

cheers

uteaddict

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Series 2 Utility
Bags are illegal in Queensland except on the rear of a utility to allow for heavy loads. You have to get an engineer plate on your vehicle but I highly doubt you will find someone to fit them unless you know them. Closest thing you can do legally is air shocks that Monroe make, they are available through repco.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon

lein

Comrade Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC 202/4sp
Bags are illegal in Queensland except on the rear of a utility to allow for heavy loads. You have to get an engineer plate on your vehicle but I highly doubt you will find someone to fit them unless you know them. Closest thing you can do legally is air shocks that Monroe make, they are available through repco.
Since when:
Queensland Transport - Light Vehicle Modification Pamphelt said:
Airbag or air pressurised shock absorber helper springs may be fitted in addition to the original suspension. However, replacing some or all of the suspension system with an air or hydraulic suspension requires specific approval.
So that says all you need is engineering approval. Because as it is altering the suspension well from original spec, or even optional spec. Which is what is required for any "Complex Modification" in the eyes of QT.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
my mate just put bags in his vz although it is a sedan so im geussing there would be a few similarities
cant get the link to work for some reason
anyway just google
street commodores just another sv6

should be the first result that appears

blair44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S UTE
so does that mean if i get them proffesionally fitted that itll be alggod or so i needa go to a michanic and get a road worth or something

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
even if you get them proffesionally fitted you still need an engineering certificate... if whoever installs them has the ability to do it then youll be alright but most dont... eng certs usually cost around a grand from memory

blair44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S UTE
do you kno if their leagl in brissy. everyone says differnt some say u can and some say you cant

uteaddict

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Series 2 Utility
So that says all you need is engineering approval. Because as it is altering the suspension well from original spec, or even optional spec. Which is what is required for any "Complex Modification" in the eyes of QT.
They are helper springs. Which, as it says need all original suspension so it really only assists original ride height. Unless you have concrete in the boot you still run the risk of a defect. So as both of us have said, you will need an engineer plate/certificate to have them replacing original suspension.

lein

Comrade Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC 202/4sp
They are helper springs. Which, as it says need all original suspension so it really only assists original ride height. Unless you have concrete in the boot you still run the risk of a defect. So as both of us have said, you will need an engineer plate/certificate to have them replacing original suspension.

Yeah for load assist bags you retain the original springs and shocks. But if you're installing fully-sick-dropped-on-it's-belly air bags all round it's a major modification from standard is what I was getting at. I suppose it all depends all on what sort of bags the OP wants to install.