Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can someone please help me change my VX V6 radiator coolant!

Rooney69

'Sarcasm'
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 3.6
I have a 2002 VX II L67 4Sp,

I can generally do all other basic areas of servicing like engine oil, transmission oil, all filters, plugs & leads. But this one has me stumped so far.

I know I need to firstly unplug the bottom hose and let it all out, and then the top hose, and then blast a garden hose into the top hole and flush out any muck and then.. plug the bottom hose back on and fill her up with the new nulon coolant which is 12L capacity for the v6?

I am confused as to if I need to bleed the system, I heard something about running the heater at some point.. and do I turn the car on at any point or do I wait until the full amount is in the radiator/block before cranking it over?

Any help is appreciated guys I would really like to read someones guide on this if there is one!

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Can't be specific on a VX, but usually you make sure the heater is on full hot (fan on low speed is ok), and release the old coolant while the engine /coolant is still at least slightly warm. Leave the heater on while refilling, burping and bleeding the system. Bleeding on later V6s can be tedious but once the thermostat opens you're 3/4 of the way there. I just keep checking it over the next few days after warming it up and top it up till it stops needing it.

h8tensv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6 2002 VX 1989 VN 5 Litre
If you go to the search box just below the log in box, type in change coolant and enter will find plenty of guides on how to do it and bleed the system correctly. V6 engines need to be bled or they get air locks and cause overheating.

JAAV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR wagon, 5 ltr ski boat, VS ute, VT calais.
to do a total coolant drain of the engine block you have to remove the knock sensors, these also act at coolant drains. stick a screw drive up the whole to make them flow.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Those can be really hard to get to. Just drain the coolant (via the lower radiator hose), then flush with water and then top up with concentrate. Done