Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can someone pls explain how the f... VK 308 fuel system works?

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
get a mechanical one aswell we had so many troubles getting a vh to run just on an electric pump. We ended up ditching it and putting the mechnical back on

you can get early girls to run on just an electric
...using a Holley Red pump externally BELOW the tank pickup level
(and a regulator maybe needed with a Quaddie to avoid flooding)

Another goodie is the FACET Gold series (I use one of these on the race car)

hth

Smitty

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
you can get early girls to run on just an electric
...using a Holley Red pump externally BELOW the tank pickup level
(and a regulator maybe needed with a Quaddie to avoid flooding)

Another goodie is the FACET Gold series (I use one of these on the race car)

hth

Smitty

well thats probably where we went wrong (bearing in mind this was 6 years ago) I think we had it mounted up on the strut tower region from memory

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
so fit the one i have sitting around (once i pull it apart and check/change a few things) then fit a holley? whats the diff between red and blue holley pumps pls?

i really wanna get this baby dyno tuned. this engine build has been a labour of love since november and i am desperate to see what it can put out, so i really need to get all the tweeks right before it gets strapped on.

thanks for all the replies btw its been really helpful

edit* the car was on LPG before i got it. i fitted a fully rec'd new one cos the gas fragged the old carb, you reckon they would have taken off the mechanic pump due to gas? i am still confused as to why it wasnt fitted.

spirto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice II
Sounds like your fuel pump isn't supplying enough fuel to the float chamber hence runs like a dog under full throttle.

Don't change the quardra jet, they work fine. Being a spread bore you will get better fuel economy round town. It also allow better air flow at low RPM's giving you better torque, and quardajets have the plastic floats so if you convert it to LPG in the future it's ready for it.

Holley Red - Low PSI of fuel I think 7psi (runs standard fuel line)
Holley Blue - High PSI of fuel (usually run with 1/2 inch line)

Mechanical pumps they had on VH, then late VK's they started adding them, to make Holley fuel pumps work they need to be mounted at the rear near of the car, near the fuel tank with fuel entering into them via gravity feed, they don't work well if they have to suck fuel then pump it.

Holley Red will plenty, don't go for the hype of a holley blue you'd need a large cam, ported heads/ high rise manifold to need the blue pump.

hope this helps.

MNS062

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK CALAIS
Hi lads
I am having similar issues with my V8 VK Calais it only has an electric pump in the tank, it not a daily drive .
I tried to start it this morning and is cranking well but not firing put a bit of fuel in the carbie and fired right away then
Immediately stopped.
Does the fuel pump only run during cranking,as I removed the fuel line to the carbie and it appears there is no fuel being delivered although had cranked for some time.
Any ideas guys any help would be appreciated

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Sounds like your pump is dead.

grantisaac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX11
Back in the day I had a VK with the first of the 4.9L . As stated above the tank pump is a pre pump for the mechanical pump. It should pump after ignition. Check relays and power. My electric failed and had the same problems.