Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can the Cam?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I've had quite big cams in old school V8's, Holden and Chrysler. I really like the feel of a cam "coming on". I always loved how I could alter the idle, lump and performance of my 360ci Mopar, due to a highly tunable Chrysler performance parts electronic dissy I fitted, and adjustable rockers. That, and the double pumper Holley 4bbl. What a sweet engine and worked so well with the 4spd manual. Lumpy as, but ran like clockwork, with huge torque all over the tacho. Even a few quite aggressive Sig Erson cams I fitted to 253's and 308's with stock distributor and Rochester or Holley 4bbl's worked well with trimatics and TH400's. Conversely my brothers 4spd HX had a Sig Erson TQ30 (reasonably mild), with all else stock, apart from the exhaust. With a 3.08:1 diff ratio, it was a bit of a pig to drive. No torque down low. So lots of riding the clutch and getting dusted by much slower cars off the line. There's a lot in the tune for sure.
Anyway, I'm being cautious because I just don't want to fu$k up the already awesome package in my Motorsport. I also don't want to necessarily throw $2-4k at a small cam, for minimal increase over just headers, cats and tune. Nor do I want to add a stally. So, I'm starting to lean back towards a two stage approach: initially just headers, hi-flow cats, CAI and a tune, I'm afraid. Then wait until I've had a chance to drive a cammed VF2 auto with no stally, before I take the plunge on a cam.
As an aside, does anyone know the specs on the W407 cam?
if ur cautious about putting a off the shelf cam in then u will prob get better results from a custom cam just give them all the engine/heads/gear ratios info and tell them what u want out of it and they can design a cam to suit, with what im building now im going a custom grind to suit all the mods ive done it sounds better then taking a guess

Pyrex

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ute
If the car is a keeper and you want power and nice drivability why not supercharge.
There is usually torque differences of more than 200nm at around 2000-3000 rpm , where you drive the most.
Any 2300 kit will get you into the low 400rwkw on 98.
Now Pir4te is banned surely forced induction can be discussed;)

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
if ur cautious about putting a off the shelf cam in then u will prob get better results from a custom cam just give them all the engine/heads/gear ratios info and tell them what u want out of it and they can design a cam to suit, with what im building now im going a custom grind to suit all the mods ive done it sounds better then taking a guess
Yeah I always used custom grinds in my MOPARS. I found these much better than any off the shelf sticks I tended to use in Holden red and blue motors. I went off the shelf as it was a different time in life...I.e. rather than building something from scratch, just the way I wanted it, I was just extracting more with less.;)
You've sparked my interest with these comments @07GTS. I'll ask some questions and see what I get back. Who grinds bespoke cams these days.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yeah I always used custom grinds in my MOPARS. I found these much better than any off the shelf sticks I tended to use in Holden red and blue motors. I went off the shelf as it was a different time in life...I.e. rather than building something from scratch, just the way I wanted it, I was just extracting more with less.;)
You've sparked my interest with these comments @07GTS. I'll ask some questions and see what I get back. Who grinds bespoke cams these days.
Most, if not all big players such as camtech, crow, crane, clive etc all do custom cams. Apparently my ss has a custom camtech in it, but no idea of specs and the previous owner wasn't all that up with it - he just sent it away to have the work done and handed over the money. For an LS I feel that a custom cam isn't necessary. They've been developed so much its crazy - but you'll get a different recommendation for cam grind whoever you speak to. Everybody has different ideals I suppose which makes things difficult when making decisions like this.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
If the car is a keeper and you want power and nice drivability why not supercharge.
There is usually torque differences of more than 200nm at around 2000-3000 rpm , where you drive the most.
Any 2300 kit will get you into the low 400rwkw on 98.
Now Pir4te is banned surely forced induction can be discussed;)
I'm not averse to a puffer. I'll admit it sounds enticing. But, I've always said, if you want FI, start with something from the factory. E.g. Gen-F GTS as a complete blown package. Engineered from the factory to handle all that grunt and more. I will get myself a GTS or GTS-R one day. But, the Motorsport is N/A and it will stay that way.
As an example of why, I was talking to a couple of LE owners at the Lang Lang day a while back. One owned a pretty stock Magnum. The other a W547 Motorsport. On the way down, these two had a squirt from a standing start. Believe it or not, the Magnum dusted the W547. At Lang Lang, I watched the same W547 Motorsport and a mental Director with a big cam and big blower (with a lot more power than the W547) on the concrete skid pan. Both of these cars struggled to do much. Plenty of stock Magnums, Motorsports (including mine) and a couple of Chevy SS mules at the hands of expert Holden drivers, including Rob Tribbiani, did much better. Just better balanced.
I also spoke to the bloke who manages the facility. He also had a W547. He basically said it was too much power for most situations and he struggled for grip with street tyres.
Now, I know you're not suggesting anywhere neart that level of grunt. Nonetheless, I want to stay N/A with this machine.
Cheers!

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
In your case I'd want a cam around 224/232 LSA 113/114 if it was my car as it tried and tested and you may not need a stall.

I have that cam in mine (VCM5sc) Although you can get away without a stall, when in heavy traffic it can be a bitch.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I have that cam in mine (VCM5sc) Although you can get away without a stall, when in heavy traffic it can be a bitch.
If you don’t have a histall, big brake upgrade definitely helps the push at the lights, and looks good too lol

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks heaps for all your comments and advice you blokes. I really appreciate it. I'll let you know how I go.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Thanks heaps for all your comments and advice you blokes. I really appreciate it. I'll let you know how I go.

Come on you know you want to be blown. ;)

Personally if you are not chasing numbers then a cam with a nice attitude is the way I’d go.

I’d want it to display a little bit of look at me for when a car pulls up next to you at the lights or while cruising down the street but it wouldn’t have to be the quickest thing on the planet.

No point in a cam if it doesn’t add to the aural excitement of the car, you may as well go forced induction if that’s the case.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
I hate the charger whine too.