Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can This Tow?

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
Hi i got a mate who has a VY Ute standard V6 ecotec nothing but a 2 inch exhaust with a transmission that is not good but but not bad it slips a little, wondering if it would be able to tow a tandem trailer for about 200kms to pick up my car a VT Calais L67 and take it back the 200kms, its getting a rwc then sold that's why its going the 200kms back up there. just wondering if any one has towed a Calais or statesman for 400kms or more with a standard v6 ecotec with a not so good transmission, i suppose im trying too see if it would make it before i attempt it or will i have to get a tow truck (Dont realy want to, too much $$$)

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
i should add that the route has hills there is a longer route by an extra 100kms each way with less hills but a couple big hills with long climbs not too steep just long

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
To me, if you try it, you will be paying to tow the ute (when you break it:eek:), the trailer & the Calais. Also you will be paying to have your mates' tranny replaced.
I think it would be cheaper to just pay for the Calais to be towed.

Your choice.

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
ok what about my wh statesman its a Gen iii Ls1 but if i can tow it with that legally might give me an excuse to get some things done to it

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
ok what about my wh statesman its a Gen iii Ls1 but if i can tow it with that legally might give me an excuse to get some things done to it

Statesman towing capacity from 1996 to 2010 is 2100kg.
VT weighs around 1630 kg so add trailer weight maybe 750kg and still not legal.
You would need a trailer weighing less than 450 kg.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If the trailer has electric brakes you can go above the allowable towing capacity. If it has a brake away system it can go higher again.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Slipping auto and towing don't go hand in hand Add in some hills as you say and it's a receipe for a blown auto...

Personally I wouldn't risk it