Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can u make a v6 sound like a v8? exhaust wise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
if you knock the guts out of it at least it looks like it has one but still the chance of gettin caught

VROCIOUS

Searching for more HP
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
04 HSV VY update Avalanche
no but a catalytic converter is there to turn the carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide so that you dont kill everything you drive past. it's there for a safety measure get a 2.5 mandrel bent system with xtractors and low revs will sound fine but after that the v6 doesn't offer enough back pressure to sound beefy. you can get away with a good quality system for under 1k fitted. Pacemaker headers and your choise exhaust, i've got a lukey i think

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
For a stock buick or ecotec, even a 2.5" system is overkill if your going for performance so going for a twin 2.25" system would loose you abit of low-end power.

But back on topic, theres nothing you can really do to the exhuast to make it sound like a V8, all you can do is make it groan alot more louder which is a bad thing about the ecotec's because they are so damm smooth. I've noticed you have a vs so just stick with a single 2.5" catback system and get yourself a set or pacemakers installed aswell and you shouldn't be disapointed, all up should cost you about a grand ($400+ for the catback system, $560 for the extractors).

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
oh apparantly copper pipe placed sideways infront of the cat is supposed to make your exhaust note deeper or sumthing.... we were discussing it at trade school and the possibility for it to work effectively is pretty good

crashy13

=(BUSTOUT)=
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 9C1 & VH SL/E
fines

i'ld rather pay my $1000 on extractors and and exhaust setup rather than $2000 of fines from the emission squad, know what i mean lol

crashy13

=(BUSTOUT)=
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 9C1 & VH SL/E
self fitment

is it better money wise to buy the exhaust and extractors and fitr thm your self or is it really for the pro's at the shops to do?

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
why would you want it too sound like an 8 wen its not

V

VSAccCom

Charg'd Vt why are u always putting negative input into these threads, u know some people cant afford to have an HSV like some prick *cough* so they go for the cheaper alternative, and want their car to sound nice now is that really a problem for you wanker

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
A twin 2.25' system flows marginaly better than a 3' system, both of which are overkill for a stock Ecotec. If you want your VS to sound as close to a V8 as possile, put on a 2.5' Lukey catback without a resonator, Lukey systems are known for less drone. You'll loose bottom end but gain top end, if you want to make up for the lower end put in some good Extractors and it will sound even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.