Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can VE Head/Curtain airbags be placed into VZ?

Pete_perth

Pedro
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6
Hi All,

I have been wondering if VE Head/Curtain airbags can be fitted to a VZ. I have an Adventra and love almost everything about the car except for the lack of curtain air bags and manual transmission.

I saw a couple of VE Head/Curtain airbags on eBay and wondered what would be needed to fit them into the VZ if at all possible. I guess they could be connected to the side air bags for deployment and fitting them would require the drilling of holes along each side behind the headliner to fit them but wasn't sure if there would be enough space for them or if the headliner itself needed to be modified so that they deploy - or if the whole thing is a nice to think about but can't be done situation. Also not sure what would trigger deployment and if the same trigger that sets off the side airbags would deploy the head/curtain ones.

Any productive thoughts and discussion would be appreciated. Negative commentary not required. Not sure if I would do it, but would be interested if it could be done.

Cheers everyone.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
You could probably do it, but doing it properly and improving driver safety would be difficult. Airbags inflating at the wrong time, even by half a second could be very painful indeed and you will have no opportunity to test your setup. You also don't want to be slapped in the face by pieces of interior trim when the bags inflate.
The best way to do it would probably be to transplant the whole system from a VE and replicate the mounting hardware but that's not as easy as it sounds.
Have you got side airbags in the seats?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
No. You cant.

Pete_perth

Pedro
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6
You could probably do it, but doing it properly and improving driver safety would be difficult. Airbags inflating at the wrong time, even by half a second could be very painful indeed and you will have no opportunity to test your setup. You also don't want to be slapped in the face by pieces of interior trim when the bags inflate.
The best way to do it would probably be to transplant the whole system from a VE and replicate the mounting hardware but that's not as easy as it sounds.
Have you got side airbags in the seats?

Thanks Greenacc for your reply. I like your point about it being possible but not improving the safety of things and as you say can actually lead to a worse outcome as the VZ trim and timing is untested so the results are unpredictable and I don't feel like side swiping my car to find out if it would work ;):D

I do have the side seat airbags so I will need to be happy with those and the front airbags as well. Thanks again.

Pete_perth

Pedro
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6
Thanks Sabbath, much appreciated.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Thanks Sabbath, much appreciated.
Sorry, that was a short answer.

To lengthen it out a bit. You would have not only space issues fitting the airbags but also shape of the window and roofline you're trying to protect. And that's before you even think, or try to work out the trigger point and method for them. They could even end up imparing the way the seat airbags work if they were to collide after deployment for some reason.

But, it seems you've decided against it anyway. Just thought i'd expand a bit.:cool:

Pete_perth

Pedro
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6
Sorry, that was a short answer.

To lengthen it out a bit. You would have not only space issues fitting the airbags but also shape of the window and roofline you're trying to protect. And that's before you even think, or try to work out the trigger point and method for them. They could even end up imparing the way the seat airbags work if they were to collide after deployment for some reason.

But, it seems you've decided against it anyway. Just thought i'd expand a bit.:cool:

Thanks Sabbath, appreciate the response. I saw a couple of curtain airbags on eBay and that got me thinking. Lucky I have this forum to double check with otherwise who knows where my thought bubble would take me ;)o_O:rolleyes: