Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can vn parts go into a vr?(motor, trans, suspension)

DAVIDC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais International S/C
Hey, I've got a VN commodore as a First car as i am only 16, it has a 3inch exhaust with Extractors, Lowered 2inches with King Springs, limited slip diff and the motor is a Reco and goes very fast together with the HSV ECU put in the car. This is all good and well but i just bought a VR with either a shot Trans or Engine. Its completely stock. So my question is can i put all the exhaust, springs, diff on the car and change the motor and trans from the VN to the VR??

My dad says No because the VN's are slightly different and the motor and **** wouldnt fit, but i thought i would get a second opinion coz i see alot of parts on the internet labeled "VN VP VR VS"

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated because i have to get rid of one of the cars asap..

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yes can all go in, You will have to use the loom and ecu from the VN, just swap everything in the engine bay and you should be right. Someone in this thread at some point will say "you can't put a older motor in it" so I'll just add a preemptive "bullshit" :p

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Although I will add the fixing the VR with another engine and or box would be easier

peckzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series 2 v6
all thats different is wiring loom and ecu, with the gearbox its cable change gears and the vr are electronic, easy done go for it son

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Is it a Series 1 or 2 VN? You should check if there are stricter exhaust emmissions on a VR compared to a VN if there are then you could be defected if someone checks the engine number.
Also would the instrument cluster still work ok?

Auzziephoenix

Typical P Plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
Jungle Fever R8
if the VR has IRS then no the springs will not fit, because afaik VNs never came in IRS
but if the vr isnt IRS.. im still not sure if they would, anyone else care to enlighten?

and the diff yes you can im sure.

peckzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series 2 v6
if the VR has IRS then no the springs will not fit, because afaik VNs never came in IRS
but if the vr isnt IRS.. im still not sure if they would, anyone else care to enlighten?

and the diff yes you can im sure.

irs will not fit period

yes completely the same with suspension wise in the back end, front end is different, as the top struts of ure shocks in the vr has like 8 bolts or something and the vn-vp has 3 bolts, springs would fit the front shocks though if you can change them over by yourself? just keep the front shocks original.\

brakes are the same, evan for abs as that is in your hub, there is a sensor

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
VN diff will fit into VR but is skinnier and looks stupid.

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
also putting an older motor into a newer car means it will never pass pits.