Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can you do an auto yourself?

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Hey all,

Just curious as a recent quote to have my auto reconditioned and fitted with a shift kit, which they added a stall converter to the quote also.
was about $5500, way out of what I'd want to spend on that alone.

I'm wondering how difficult it'd be to freshen up the transmission myself or with some friends, putting the shift kit into it at the same time (dont know if I'd want to do stall or not yet). And would it be a hell of a lot cheaper to do this ?

Would this be something I'd be able to do myself with some mates or is it something that should definitely be done by a professional for a kidney ?

Cheers!

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
OR, is it better to buy a recond transmission or something?

Just looking for ideas/opinions on the best option for the right price..

Blakvsexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0L VS EXECUTIVE
It all depends on your mechanical ability, and wether or not you can follow a manual.

I have done a couple myself, i have the complete manual for the 4l60e, first time around it was a bit daunting but the second one was a lot easier.
I got all my parts out of the US, a full rebuild kit with a few other upgrades and a shift kit comes to around $500.

Just need a table, the bigger the better and keep everything super clean when you reassemble and follow the instructions.
There is a few special tools you need but you can get then all from ebay in the US, They are not too expensive.

If you feel confident go for it, if not just go get a second hand box and have a shop fit a shift kit to it, should only cost around 200 to 250.

Cheers.

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Mechanically I'm not too bad, but I'd do it with my brother most likely, who is very mechanically savvy.
The only downside is that I'm not sure what exactly is needed to do a full rebuild, is it something I should be speaking with a transmission shop about and where would I get a hold of a manual to rebuild it ?

I've never under taken something as 'big' as a rebuilding something like this so I'm not sure where to get things from, what's needed and so on.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Why don't you start off with just a basic service and fitting the trans kit, if you tackle it successfully and the box starts to show weakness you can then consider the bigger job of a rebuild.

Blakvsexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0L VS EXECUTIVE
Most places that supply transmission parts will be able to advise you on what you'll need to complete the rebuild.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Crickey $5500??? I got quoted $2500 for a 500hp build and a stage 2 Transgo shift kit, and Brissie is more expensive than down south.

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
wow.. see I was expecting around the 2-2.5K mark or so.
not 5k...
Maybe its because I went to a 'performance' shop rather than just a normal transmission place ??
I might have to contact them instead to see what they think.

VR83 - the only reason I asked about the rebuild is because I was asked by the guy I got the quote from what mileage the car had done (260k), and he said with that sort of mileage it'll need a rebuild otherwise I'll fit the shift kit and the trans will fail and I'll have to do it all again anyway.

Dangerous Dave, thanks for that link, very interesting.
I've never seen the inside of a transmission before... definitely looks slightly daunting but I'm sure if I took my time and worked on it with my bro it'd be achievable if I really had to do it.
Preferably I'd like someone who knows what they're doing to do it though, and will do it myself as a last resort/cheaper option.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina