Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can you put a twin rb30 motor into a car?

redrags

Reaction score
Members Ride
walking
major plan for next year once i have bought my car i am planning on making one (not street legal) and was wondering if anyones heard of 2 motors (rb30 in this case) powering a car (i will build the chassis or get it built) how would they do it. a link to a site would be great what gearbox would handle that type of force? would a ford 9" diff be necceserry?

GetToDaChopa

Blues Brother # 2
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Blues Mobile
You mean 2 physical engines? I had no idea it was possible to pull that of in any car. Would be interesting.

redrags

Reaction score
Members Ride
walking
when i was in high school the boys doing the mechanic class (i should have stupid me) built a car and it had 2 4cyl motors in it i dont know how they did it the only way i can think is to chain drive it from the back of the cranks to the gearbox. yes i do mean 2 engines :)

GetToDaChopa

Blues Brother # 2
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Blues Mobile
You could build it in such a way that each engine powers left/right wheel and have 2 gearboxes, it's so crazy it just might work :D

redrags

Reaction score
Members Ride
walking
yeah i never thought of that. that would be more effective if you think about it. there is alot of planning to go into this before i even were to start building it as it is just a concept at the moment but who knows where the future might take me i know i wanna build a lightweight car and i know i wanna use rb30 motor(s)

Last edited:

GetToDaChopa

Blues Brother # 2
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Blues Mobile
But with 2 engines and gearboxes it would be pretty heavy. I'd say the coolest one would be a turbocharged RB30 in a VERY lightweight car (and a manual of course)... and now i'm going of topic....

redrags

Reaction score
Members Ride
walking
haha i also had that in mind. cutting the front off a mini blah blah blah but i figured i would have alot more "fun" building it from scratch. by lightweight i mean no panels or unneceserry weight so it would be more like a buggy. i would have to put some weight on it to balance it but that can be figured out at the time

GetToDaChopa

Blues Brother # 2
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Blues Mobile
This is my rendering :D

2engines.png

redrags

Reaction score
Members Ride
walking
looks good. heres mine. obviously my paint skills arent as good as yours though haha
the diddlys are cogs by the way
2rb30.jpg

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Some dude made a car with 2 V6's in it onthe SC forum, he was from the states, it went good :)