Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can You Resolve My Problem? -- Cooling System On VR

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
Hey guys,
Il get straight to it. Work as a apprentice Mechanic at MTA and had the car on the hoise to examine, turns out had a leaking water pump, seal obviously went in it. After driving around for a few days, i came across a smell, closest i can explain to is of hot wax, and it was coming through the vents when i went stationary when driving the car (eg. stopped at lights). Now to fix it up, i went out and bought a brand new water pump, thermostat and also a radiator cap just incase and installed them properly, removed the radiator and thoroughly flushed it with a hose, then filled up the system with brand new coolant, bled it and it all worked prefectly. Now although my temperature reads 1/3 Hot after a decent drive, which is fine, i open up the bonnet after a bit of a long drive and get that same waxey smell and feel that the radiator cap isnt hot at all, not even midly warm at times. I think i narrowed the smell down to the radiator side itself where the cap goes. What could cause this? Can i fix it? And should i be worried?
Thanks in advance,
Social.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Is the upper radiator hose hot? How long is "long", we are into winter. Does your heater work well? Is the bottom radiator hose hot?

Sounds like the there could be a blockage in your water galleries - clearly there isn't one in the radiator if you were able to flush it.

Stupid question, but did the thermostat go in the right way?

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
Is the upper radiator hose hot? How long is "long", we are into winter. Does your heater work well? Is the bottom radiator hose hot?

Sounds like the there could be a blockage in your water galleries - clearly there isn't one in the radiator if you were able to flush it.

Stupid question, but did the thermostat go in the right way?

Hey morton cheers for the reply, yes the upper radiator hose is hot, long as in.. like 45mins+ of driving. Yes the heater works fine, and as for the bottom radiator hose i didnt check that so will do next drive

What can get rid of a blockage in the gallaries?

As for the thermostat it was a very nice snug fit, like, have to just apply a bit of prssure to it and it kinda clicked in, and was put in the correct way also.

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
bi of an update, the smell is still lurking around although the radiator cap get hot now, so.. yea still unsure whats causing it.

vncruzr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1
mate have quick check of your heater tap in the engine bay. they are the worst design and are prone to rusting a hole in em and leaking coolant very discretely. this hole can also let air in the system and yeah, hot spots form. good luck

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The waxy smell is possibly hot coolant evaporating - does the car lose coolant?

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
just an update guys, ive found a tiny little leak from where the bottom radiator hose meets the block, going to replace it tommorrow and hopefully thats it :D

CALAIS 6

snowballing
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz exec
was going too sugest the bypass hose from water pump too block but sounds like u found ur prob????