Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can you swap a VT Boot for VX or VY ?

dmaifred

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT S-Pack
Tragedy!

Well I came out of work after finishing the books at the tavern where I work and there it was. Bits of red/white plastic everywhere. Some idiot customer had backed into where I was parked smashed the boot garnish(Big red plastic panel around rear license plate) and taken off. It seems nothing is dented except a little little dent in the bumper. The actual metal of the trunk is undamaged.

Before I go out and buy a new tail garnish for my 98 VT (Sportspack) I want to know if I can just swap trunks with a later model commodore that doesn't have a tail garnish? Will it fit?

Cheers -David Maifredi-
[email protected]

VZTHUNDER

Enhanced Custom Tuned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder MY06
vt and vx boot panels themselves are the same
its just he garnish that is different.. just do a VX berlina conversion or get another VT garnish

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Plus...no key in the VX boot i believe

dmaifred

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT S-Pack
Well I've almost fixed it.

Took the damaged garnish, filled the missing plastic with fibreglass, and having been sanding it smooth. Next job: Paint it black (car color) and pop it back on. I already have VX(i think) tail lights on it so I'll have all of my lights already.

And being that I painted over my old VX garnish, I still have a keyhole. (Since my remote sensor seems stuffed)

Cheers -dmaifred

VZTHUNDER

Enhanced Custom Tuned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder MY06
u mean u painted the Vt garnish as a VX garnish wont have a key hole

dmaifred

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT S-Pack
Yup, My mistake. I painted my VT garnish. Meanwhile I finally splurged on getting a new key remote sender ($105 at Holden, re-used old physical metal key). So I guess I didn't really still need the garish key-hole anymore. Then agian the life on the key batteries sucks so better safe than sorry I suppose.

Cheers -David-

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
for those who do get stuck isn't there a boot release override tag behind the centre of the back seat?

dmaifred

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT S-Pack
Well it's all done and looks great!! Took a little while with the cold wet weather. Didn't want to orange peel it. Learned my lesson last time. I'll post once I get a sunny enough day to take a photo.

Cheers -Davo-