Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cant get p-plate off

kid_720datto

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Hilux V6
i know this sounds stupid but i put a magnetic p plate on the bonnet of my vt a while back and went to take it off today to wash it.
well the white sticker part came off but the black magnetic part has stuck it self to the car.
i tried eculyptus oil, which only smudged the black around. i also tried a hair dryer but could only pick off tiny little bits at time. and still leaves bits stuck to the car.

any way would really like to know how to get this off, or if u have had this problem as well

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HG Brougham, VS Ute, VR SS
just a thought but have you tried a really strong magnet on the underside of the bonnet? ya know reverse polarity and all just a thought/brain fart

boordy_23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2003 "HBD" Berlina
Run some thin fishing line underneath the magnet and see if you can loosen it, then lubricate it with dishwashing liquid as you pull it off. Clean it up before hand though so there is no debris that will scratch the paint as you maneuver it.

Also magnetism decreases with heat, so maybe like you said, a hair dryer, or some hot water poured over the magnet will reduce its magnetic strength.

All in all, don't use those gastly things.

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HG Brougham, VS Ute, VR SS

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Haha thats probably why my dad only let me keep them on his SSV for like an hour max

keeny

keeny
Reaction score
Members Ride
BAGGED 04 VY SS S2 HBD MANUAL UTE
had the same prob last week on my boot. luckily mine picked off in pieces though.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Didn't someone else post this problem a while back ? Might pay to do a search and see how they got theirs off

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I read somewhere a while back that WD-40 can get a stuck p plate off. It's actually quite a common problem.

nstone63

wants a new car
Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VN Executive
I always thought that those warnings on the pack "do not leave on vehicle overnight or for extended periods" was a joke..

My cousin had some luck using one of those non slip cloths, like the sort that are a grippy lattice type thing. They sell them as jar lid grippers as well.. he used it to kinda grab the thing and peel it up. Otherwise i was thinking maybe try to lift an edge with a really thin knife blade like from a stanley knife (carefully)

Kerbstomp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5.0 Caprice S2
WD40 will get anything off... even your mum ;) haha

I take it it's not a strong magnet and it's more likely that it's baked onto the car?