Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cant open car because battery is out and key wont turn?

mattyk_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VY Acclaim
Hi guys last night i went to charge my car battery so i took it out and put the hood down expecting to be able to use my key to get in in the morning. Iv tried to open the door with my key this morning and it wont work. Does anyone know what i can do in this situation? If worse comes to worse ill call a locksmith but before i do i was hoping theres something else??
Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

MATT

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
check your turning the key in the right direction as you may have DEADLOCKED the door instead of opening it!
apart from that you need to break in and pop hood!~
but unless key doesnt fit lock properly then you should be able to open door?
maybe if your car has it get in through boot? and through back seat there should be a lever to get in isnt there?

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
The owner's manual on this topic says, when the car battery is flat:

" ........the drivers door can still be unlocked by forcefully turning the key towards the front of the vehicle in the door lock. The snib button does not pop up but pulling the handle will still open the door."

Sean

mattyk_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VY Acclaim
The boot has no key hole unfortunately. I turned the right way with force but still nothing. Is there anyway of going under the bonnet ? Thanks 4 the quick replys

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
not really without damaging the grills

try turning the key forwards as that guy stated but kepp turning key back and forth (without pulling on door handle)
and bang with a fist on the back edge of the door near lock this sometimes jolts a sticky lock free
else do you have a passenger door lock with key hole try there?

mattyk_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VY Acclaim
I tried the turning and smacking, now have a sore fist/palm haha. No there's no passenger key hole. Argh anyone know any cheap locksmiths in melb??

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
I had to do this the other week because my battery was dead flat and couldn't get in the car. Turning the key and lifting the handle didn't work for me either. What I ended up doing was jacking the car up at the front and hooking up my trickle charger to the starter motor. Put the positive on the power terminal on the starter and the negative earthed on the motor somewhere. I turned the power on to the charger, pressed the unlock button on the key and POP. Not sure if this will work with the battery out though? And you need a small alligator clip to fit up onto the power terminal on the starter (up on top). Might be worth trying if you can. This was my last resort as I was ready to break the windscreen to get in.

mattyk_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VY Acclaim
####!! Finally got in. Slowely turning the key and pulling door handle at the same time. Thanks heaps 4 the replies guys.

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
Old thread I know, but Im in the same situation, however when I try the method here my key just bends and is getting broken, is there some special trick or other way to do this? Also its a wagon so if theres some wat to open the tail gate that would be good

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Old thread I know, but Im in the same situation, however when I try the method here my key just bends and is getting broken, is there some special trick or other way to do this? Also its a wagon so if theres some wat to open the tail gate that would be good

I didn't think you needed a key to open most vls