Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can't remove driver side rocker cover. And are they meant to be out of shape?

trav27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
Hey guys,
I changed the passenger side gasket fine today with no issues. With the drivers side, i got all the bolts off but just removing it has been an issue. Is there a specific way to lift it off? Also i noticed that the bottom on the drivers side cover have got 2 curse that look out of shape?
I thought it might be stuffed so i had a quick look on gumtree for a quick replacement and the one i saw on there is the same. Is that normal?
thanks

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
They are all like that, helps left it up i guess.
Make sure you have un done the last bolt down the very back i think on top.
There isnt one on the bottom just top so you forget its there.

Hot-Rod

SuPaFlY -LiV3 Surviv3 Di3
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VX Commodore Series 2
sometime the bolts will still grab on the thread. make sure u have undone all of them completely. Even when you think you have undone them they sometimes are still grabbing onto the thread. Also the rocker covers have a little lip on them which maybe grabbing onto the engine block. You can tilt the rocker cover and it should come out.

trav27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
Thanks guys :) I thought i may have bent the cover when trying to take it off, so that's one less thing to worry about lol. I'll give it another shot, it seems to be getting stuck underneath the alternator though.

Hot-Rod

SuPaFlY -LiV3 Surviv3 Di3
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VX Commodore Series 2
Thanks guys :) I thought i may have bent the cover when trying to take it off, so that's one less thing to worry about lol. I'll give it another shot, it seems to be getting stuck underneath the alternator though.

From memory it will get caught against brake lines and coil leads.

F l a k

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec
On some you take out a manifold stud or two that hold in either a metal bracket for the ignition lead organisers, or a hook to lift the engine out. Also helps to bend the dipstick just a little, but it depends on what model.

trav27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
Thanks guys, all done :) The alternator was a bit of a pain in the ass so i unfastened it which made it easy. Although i don't know whether i tightened up the bolts enough, i pretty much tightened them up till they started to feel some what tight. Would that be an issue?

F l a k

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec
Congrats on doing it yourself :)

The bolts should be fairly tight, so it might be worth just nipping them up a bit more. It's always hard to explain how tight to do things, but with a normal length spanner or ratchet, you should be able to lean against it with a fair bit of weight. If in doubt, you could always ring an independent local mechanic and ask nicely for them to check if they have time. Once they tighten it, have a feel of it so you know for next time.