Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cant select Park after rear end hit

mark2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Hi guys, my wife's VE Calais was hit up the rear today by a 4WD. Will need a new boot lid and bumper, but the rear quarters arent creased and door gaps seem ok. Tail lights not broken either. Maybe the towbar helped, or maybe it made things worse..
The strange thing is that the auto transmission selector is now out of alignment. The dash indicator shows the correct position, but the pointer at the lever is out and the lever wont move far enough up to engage park.
My first thoughts were that the whole car was completely bent, but panel beaters who did the quotes dont think so and think its something to do with the selector and the impact. Its outside their scope however.
Anyone come across this before or have any ideas?

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Have you checked the engine and transmission mounts?

mark2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Not yet, will probably have to get it on a hoist to check properly.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I would say since the Towbar had taken most of the brunt,
Its moved the whole rear end, and pushed the running gear forward, the engine mount/s would be a good indication, as they are oil filled, and it would of knocked the engine forward,
I hate to say this, but if the damage is that bad, don't be surprised if its written off, because rear suspension will need to be pulled back so it wont crab down the road, because the whole running gear is out alignment, and would probably need to be put on a rack.
Sounds like it was hit with a Bullbar on the front of the 4WD.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hi guys, my wife's VE Calais was hit up the rear today by a 4WD. Will need a new boot lid and bumper, but the rear quarters arent creased and door gaps seem ok. Tail lights not broken either. Maybe the towbar helped, or maybe it made things worse..
The strange thing is that the auto transmission selector is now out of alignment. The dash indicator shows the correct position, but the pointer at the lever is out and the lever wont move far enough up to engage park.
My first thoughts were that the whole car was completely bent, but panel beaters who did the quotes dont think so and think its something to do with the selector and the impact. Its outside their scope however.
Anyone come across this before or have any ideas?

Maynot be helpful, but the panel beaters don't know how to do their job properly.....I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if parts of the rear suspension are bent, the tailshaft is bent, the gear selector rod and the gearbox is bent and the engine/gearbox mounts are stuffed....

All these components point to pushing the gearbox forward and causing the selector positioning issues you describe.

If you were to get any of these panel beaters to repair the car, my money would be on you still having the issues after the repairs have been completed.

Best of luck with the outcome

mark2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I'm not sure where to go from here. I suppose I could try more panel beaters but they dont seem to understand the mechanical aspects. If we take it to a mechanic it starts getting complicated..

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I'm not sure where to go from here. I suppose I could try more panel beaters but they dont seem to understand the mechanical aspects. If we take it to a mechanic it starts getting complicated..

What does your insurer say ?

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
you might find the whole drive train has been shunted forward check to see if the engine looks like its moved, get them to do the repairs and just report back to your insurance company that its not fixed, the gear selector wont go into park and any other little things that you notice (rattles, vibrations), how fast was the 4WD going when it hit the car, have you got photos we can look at?

mark2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
It doesnt look that bad in the pictures, the towbar inside the bumber has taken the impact (tongue was unbolted at the time). We only have 3rd party property insurance, so have to pursue a claim form the other party. IMG_8558.jpg IMG_8559.jpg