Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can't start the car-KEYS WILL TURN FREELY AND LOOSELY.Lights on even without the keys

V

volatile_explosivo

Hello:bang: ,
My 1st post and I'm already asking for help. Anyhow, my VR commodore isn't starting. This morning on the way to work, I couldn't start the car for the 1st time.

The problem is that when you put the key in and turn it, it suppose to have a little pressure, kinda like a sring as you turn it, then the engine starts right? The funny thing about this VR is that this morning, I put the key and turned it and felt no pressure at all, then the lights(water/oil/airbags/battery/etc) on the the dash board lit up. I coould turn the key without any pressure at all and the other surprising thing is that when I took the keys off, the lights remained 'on' on the dashboard.

So automatically, I took of the red connection off the battery terminal so as not to drain the battery(since having the key off the car didn't turn the lights off) and hooked up a recharger to the battery.

5hours later, I tried to reconnect the battery terminal to the car and the same thing happened, 'nothing'. I noticed thought that when I connected the terminals on, as it hit the battery, the cars started to make 'clicking' sound(as if it wants to start), but not enought to start the car. And yes, yet again, the lights on the dashboard are on even without the keys...putting the keys in and turning it does nothing and I don't feel that pressure as you would when you turn the keys.....

Anybody else have this kind of problem??? Anybody here can give me advice on how to go about it, any explanation and how much it will cost???

Thanks soo much for any help...:cry:

Last edited by a moderator:

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
When its in the on postion..can you hear the fuel pump start up?

It maight be a barrel thing but id say maybe not as you can still get all your lights on etc....

Can you get your hands on a another ignition barrel and keys to test it out?

That or it mightbe time to see an auto elec...

aZk.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
sounds to me that ur ignition barrel stuffed, i geuss u could go to wreckers and pick up a second hand one for bout 60-80buks, onli thing is that u will have 2keys, one to start car and one to unlock doors, when i fitted a replacement one to my vp it was hard getting the old latch/shroud off over the steering column, i really mangled my old one up...also that clicking sound , sounds as if not enuf battery power or something??? good luck anyways mate.Hope this helps

V

volatile_explosivo

azkwazere said:
When its in the on postion..can you hear the fuel pump start up?

It maight be a barrel thing but id say maybe not as you can still get all your lights on etc....

Can you get your hands on a another ignition barrel and keys to test it out?

That or it mightbe time to see an auto elec...

aZk.

Thanks for taking the time to read bro..As I browse throught the forums, I'm learning that it's not uncommon for this to happen. I can hear the fuel pump wanting to start. No I coudn't get my hands on the barrel part. I'm not confident to carry out car repairs coz I have stuff things up in the past and I'm kinda traumatize with it. As I start to add the cost up $60 for the part(as I've learned from threads in this forum), $50 for the towing of my car to the repairer and another $50 for labour..that's $160 of repair and looks like I have to do it in a day and I'm already off work today..I'm a casual so no work, no pay.. this sucks...

V

volatile_explosivo

Jamie_87 said:
sounds to me that ur ignition barrel stuffed, i geuss u could go to wreckers and pick up a second hand one for bout 60-80buks, onli thing is that u will have 2keys, one to start car and one to unlock doors, when i fitted a replacement one to my vp it was hard getting the old latch/shroud off over the steering column, i really mangled my old one up...also that clicking sound , sounds as if not enuf battery power or something??? good luck anyways mate.Hope this helps

mate thanks for taking the time to read and go through my problems...I'm starting to understand now..I wish I have the confidence like you guys in fixing things like this.

pugga

More Power!!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 HSV Maloo R8
i've done that need new igition barrel can still start car with screw driver

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
id say call out a locksmith, tell them your problem on the phone and they can come out with a barrel and install it for you

newo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
If you're in Melbourne out west kinda way I can recommend a guy. My barrel wouldn't turn, so it was a case of new barrel. From memory it was like $100 all up. if you do it yourself, be careful because if you break the pin at the back of the barrel, then you're up for a whole new housing, which is pretty pricey. All they do is re key the barrel to your key which is great.

Yeah I agree, go the locksmith.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
yeh definately, i dont think you could do it yourself, or you would have 2 different keys, because you wouldnt be able to key the new barrel to match teh old key