Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cap?

VXcommforlife

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
I was cruisin around with mates the other night and we where talking about my subs and a mate of mine said you should get a cap and i was wondering what it is and what it does?

Juztin

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS UTE Auto
He may be referring to capacitor?, thats about the only thing I can relate it to lol.

Wait for the Pro's to answer =P

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
id say capacitor as well.
someone will tell you why.

Devils_Thunder

Riding high...
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2010 Captiva.....
A capacitor is a device that stores charge (power). When your sub kicks it draws a lot of power (spike) from your battery.
When this happens you may get your headlights and interior lights dimming because there is not enough power for both, a capacitor helps to compensate the battery with it's stored charge.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
A capacitor is not worth incorporating into your system, headlight dimming can be solved by upgrading your earth cable/s under the bonnet. If the problem persists then a bigger / higher quality / second battery will solve it, provided your alternator is charging fine.

This has been covered before and has caused dissagreements, basically everyone has an opinion on this and as you can see from my above statment im not a beleiver in capacitors ;)

Post Vintage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Manual
Screw the disagreements, I have been involved in car audio for 11 years now and he is on the money with everything said there.

In my bimmer I run a Century "High Performance" (Top of the Century range) N70Z (4WD Battery) and 0 gauge (85mm lugs) cable to my amp. The alternator is the factory 140A unit . I have a P4 2.8Ghz computer, a power inverter running it, a 15" LCD screen and two other amps for my front and rear speakers and the one single battery does fine. There is three 0 gauge earth cables grounding the battery also.

Make sure cable size is overkill and you get a new battery. Get another ground cable for your battery and earth it somewhere good where it will contact alot of clean metal.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
A capacitor is not worth incorporating into your system, headlight dimming can be solved by upgrading your earth cable/s under the bonnet. If the problem persists then a bigger / higher quality / second battery will solve it, provided your alternator is charging fine.
No.

Headlight dimming is the voltage dropping. This is usually the voltage dropping from the alternator voltage (14.x) to the battery voltage (12.x)... Having a second battery doesn't stop that dimming, it just helps stop the voltage dropping so low (below 12v) that damage is caused to amplifiers.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
If I may hijack the thread a little. I have some headlight dimming in my car to the point where I can see the difference when I'm driving, its not a huge drop or anything but I don't want to attract unwanted attention. I have 0gauge to boot and 0gauge from negative to strut tower, a D34 Yellow top and the alternator is fine, is there anything else I could do?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
StoneX.....yes i know how headlight dimming is caused, most of the time it can be solved by upgrading your earths under the bonnet, what i should have suggested after that is to get your alternator looked at. Bad headlight dimming usually means the voltage is dropping below 12.x volts (battery voltage) anyway, hence the reason for me suggesting a new/bigger/second battery.

acarmody.....i would run another earth from the neg. terminal to the engine block etc.(alternator housing bolt is ideal), just to make sure your getting as much charge current as possible.