Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Caprice washers

manualwagon

manualwagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 calais, 2017 Triumph Tiger. 2023 Jolion HEV
Have a 2013 WN caprice. There is a washer hose behind the right hand headlight that is open ended. When i hit wash I get water from the wipers, then a couple of squirts from under the bonnet around the headlight. Where should that open washer hose got to?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Have a 2013 WN caprice. There is a washer hose behind the right hand headlight that is open ended. When i hit wash I get water from the wipers, then a couple of squirts from under the bonnet around the headlight. Where should that open washer hose got to?

Its the breather hose for the washer reservoir.
If its this location, its the breather hose.

DEW_1940 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Not sure but didn’t the WN have a factory HID headlight option?

If so and you have factory HIDs, there is a washer arm that comes out horizontally from under each headlight. I think a hose connects the windscreen washer bottle to a high pressure pump which provides washer fluid to these headlight washer arms and every few windscreen washes results in a few high pressure squirts to clean both headlights.

So if you do have factory HIDs, maybe the hose has disconnected from the washer arm or has split Android leaks...

But then again, I could be wrong as I don’t have a caprice.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Breather hose as mentioned. You also have HID headlamps that get a wash with the wiper washers as mentioned above

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Breather hose as mentioned. You also have HID headlamps that get a wash with the wiper washers as mentioned above
Cool! Can these HID headlamps and washers be cross fitted to a VF?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
^
Have a look at the VF/WN/HSV workshop manual found within this forum and you’ll see that there are wiring differences, a HID headlight and lamp control box and likely BMC specific program settings to make it all work. The later likely being the biggest issue.

(Interestingly the manual also talks of headlamps that turn left and right to follow the steering...)

And if you look at the Caprice HID headlight design (shape) you’ll realise it won’t fit in VF.

But all is not lost as the Chevy SS had factory HIDs so they should be able to be simple retrofit though the likely BMC programing issue still exist. The other problem for us with using Chevy HID headlamps in our VFs is that they don’t come with washers as they are not required in the USA.

(and it’s a dumbass cheap design to not include the washers with the Chevy SS as it make it more expensive to then provide the feature to other VF’s but Holden/GM were never ones for vision; just look at LHD only designed Camaro and at Ford making Mustang hay while the sun shines)...

So it’s possible to Frankenstein’s the Chevy SS HIDs, wiring, control box, etc and maybe even modify the Caprice HID washer system to pop out from the bumper but it will be rather costly... and then the BMC may be a hurdle to get programmed (service department balks when asking about such programing as they have no idea).

It’s possible but thing in the many $grands rather than the many $hundreds... and then it will need engineering. but you’ll get HIDs with levellers and washers and not blind oncoming traffic :cool:

[edited to add link]

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
It’s possible but thing in the many $grands rather than the many $hundreds... and then it will need engineering. but you’ll get HIDs with levellers and washers and not blind oncoming traffic :cool:

[edited to add link]

If the HID's are set up correctly, you wont blind oncoming drivers(think Chev SS) and you wont encounter problems with the law.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Remember GM went through Chapter 11. No money to engineer cars for both LHD and RHD.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
If the HID's are set up correctly, you wont blind oncoming drivers(think Chev SS) and you wont encounter problems with the law.
Chevy SS HIDs have built in lamp levellers that are controlled by the electronics... but using a modded HID globe with a halogen mounting obviously doesn’t provide any lamp leveling and as such does not comply with any regulations or standards.

Those HID H6? globes are illegal so if one has a crash at night on a bend and someone is killed, even if not your fault, expect the investigators to determine your vehicle was not roadworthy and thus expect to reamed big time. Maybe the probability of such is low but it’s not zero...

Seriously, if it was so easy to set up a halogen projector headlight to not blind oncoming cars when using those halogen HID inserts, don’t you think the manufacturers would have pushed to offer it to the public?

But each to their own...just don’t confuse unroadworthy with I haven’t been pinged yet...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Remember GM went through Chapter 11. No money to engineer cars for both LHD and RHD.
I’m more than aware but why should I cut any manufacturer slack for poor management that results in Chapter 11 which screwed over many including numerous pension funds?

Maybe if they developed their vehicles at a faster pace, in both LHD and RHD, and sold what people wanted, GM wouldn’t have gotten to become a shell of its former self and Holden would have been a bigger force than the insignificant importing only pissant that it has become.