Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

caps lock time

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
dumb ppl get into mechanics/automotive trade because its easy to understand and cars are a piece of piss to work on.

in saying that

its the smart ppl that get into it that actually succeed because they build a reputation for knowing their ****.
they go on to make internet shows etc and big bucks.

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
If someone comes in to work and says they are a returned serviceman then we give them trade price. It would be worth asking your local Holden dealer.

And it's not just parts interpreters who get things wrong. I had a customer call me and ask for a Tonneau for an XY ute. When I questioned him he said 'Yeah, 2003 XY ute'. I have also had people phone me up on occasion for Daihatsu, Toyota and Nissan parts. No idea why anyone would phone a Holden dealer for spares for another make?

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
dumb ppl get into mechanics/automotive trade because its easy to understand and cars are a piece of piss to work on.

in saying that

its the smart ppl that get into it that actually succeed because they build a reputation for knowing their ****.

no its easy to throw parts on until you get a result, understanding how it works is completely different

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
If someone comes in to work and says they are a returned serviceman then we give them trade price. It would be worth asking your local Holden dealer.

And it's not just parts interpreters who get things wrong. I had a customer call me and ask for a Tonneau for an XY ute. When I questioned him he said 'Yeah, 2003 XY ute'. I have also had people phone me up on occasion for Daihatsu, Toyota and Nissan parts. No idea why anyone would phone a Holden dealer for spares for another make?

good to know..

but trade price @ holden usually more than RRP from AMCAP :p

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)

holden has sold parts for all of those brands under their own badge(as far as i know) also as you would know being that you work for a holden dealer, some dealers sell more then one brand, i thought that would have been obvious.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II

in saying that

What qualifies you to make that comment?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Try booking out spark plugs for a V6 and getting snib buttons for a VT.

Or booking out an air filter for a VT and getting a fuel pump for a Ford....needless to say the guy responsible now doesnt get to answer the phone and just runs parts and makes coffee.

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
the fact that i know many mechanics

Which means absolutely sweet #### all.
You realise you just insulted a hefty portion of this forums members yeah?
Just because you know a mechanic or 2 who may or may not be dumb, doesnt mean everyone in the industry is and we all only got into it because its 'easy'. I know several people who got high enough UAI's at school to be Dr's if they wanted but they became mechanics because thats what they wanted to do. Id hardly call the automotive industry easy anyway. Sure its not the hardest, but not easy either.
I agree with the OP that Repco are friggin hopeless though, and thats mainly because most of the staff have no interest in cars/automotive industry hence there knowledge is 0. I will defend them in one aspect and say that their new computer catalogue is one of the worst designed pieces of software ever created, and it makes finding a part number hard for even someone who knows exactly what they are looking for! And also working in spare parts myself, I will defend how frustrating it is when you get a customer who isnt patient enough to answer the questions asked (for example, customer walks in, ask for a oil filter for a 5.7L holden V8, then when asked for yr model etc etc gets the shits and just says 'it doesnt matter they are all the same!'. To the person looking it up on a parts catalogue, if they dont know off tops of their head, you cant just type in 'holden 5.7L V8' and it gives you the part number. We HAVE to enter a yr model, varient, etc etc, so its best we just get the correct details off you to start with and then there are no dramas when you turn around after you get the oil filter and say 'oh yeah I also need a heater hose and a exhaust manifold gasket etc etc)
What do you do for a living out of curiousity Steev888?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Turn it around, I worked in automotive aftermarket for 20 years, both on and off the tools. The amount of people that come in asking for things and talking like they know everything and treat you like an idiot. Sometimes I just laughed to myself and gave them what they wanted, knowing they would be back because it won't work in the application they want it for.

I will agree on sales people not knowing much about cars. But then you have a Holden, you probably know every nut and bolt on it. The sales guy has to deal with every make and model, and if they are not a Holden fan or even a car enthusiast, then they won't know part numbers off the top of their head. All they really need is customer service and know how to read a catalogue. (Some people don't have either attribute though). Parts stores like Repco and SuperCheap employ people based on how little they can pay them. They won't pay top dollar to a 30 year veteran mechanic to ring up sales on a register. They are in the business to maximise profits, if they have a few disgruntled customers, then that is something they can live with as long as they are meeting their profit margins.

And to STEEV888....you are a moron.