Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Captiva - Engine emissions warning light - Petrol

sbhogadi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva
Hi ALl, I have a Holden Captiva 2011 LX and I've had this amber light on dashboard which looks like engine (Emission light). I've been having this issue for quite a while, but when I visited nearby mechanic, he check the warning type by connecting some device and advised O2 sensor needs to be replaced. As it's not a major issue (per him), he cleared the warning light and advised I can still use the car and if I get the warning light again, I can still use the car and ignore the light. He also suggested, if I ever want to get that replaced, then I will have to contact Holder to get that replaced.
It feels annoying to have that warning sign poping up every one or two months and visiting mechanic to get that cleared. So I've called holden and apparently fixing this light will cost me about $900.
Any advise or alternate suggestions would be greately appreciated.

Light Status: Solid
Model: Captiva LX
Fuel Type: Petrol

Attachments

• Engine emissions warning.PNG
    Engine emissions warning.PNG
    9.7 KB · Views: 397

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Buy yourself a cheap ($15 on eBay or $70 at jaycar) Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool and install an app on your phone. Then you can read the fault codes or clear the fault yourself. It also allows you to see real-time O2 signals graphs amongst other engine info ;)

Just take note that you get fault codes because something isn’t working correctly. With some issues, if left unresolved because you continually clear the fault, such can cause further damage.

Also note that often the indicated issue isn’t actually the problem and some low moral mechanics simply use the fault codes to throw parts at a car costing you more than it should.

If you can’t trust your mechanic, search for a factory workshop manual online and grab yourself a copy. Factory workshop manuals have diagnostics steps for specific fault codes.

As is, the Captiva V6 has 4 O2 sensors, supposedly all the same part, so I doubt all 4 sensors have failed. Each O2 sensor can be bought for around $100 on ebay and an O2 sensor removal tool is around $20.

Using an OBD scan tool you could change the likely faulty sensor for less than $150 yourself if you have some basic mechanical ability and safety awareness (along with car ramps or trolley jack and axle stands).

But $900 sounds a bit steep if the fault has already been diagnosed as faulty O2 sensors....

Obviously YMMV depending on skill set :rolleyes:

sbhogadi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva
Buy yourself a cheap ($15 on eBay or $70 at jaycar) Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool and install an app on your phone. Then you can read the fault codes or clear the fault yourself. It also allows you to see real-time O2 signals graphs amongst other engine info ;)

Just take note that you get fault codes because something isn’t working correctly. With some issues, if left unresolved because you continually clear the fault, such can cause further damage.

Also note that often the indicated issue isn’t actually the problem and some low moral mechanics simply use the fault codes to throw parts at a car costing you more than it should.

If you can’t trust your mechanic, search for a factory workshop manual online and grab yourself a copy. Factory workshop manuals have diagnostics steps for specific fault codes.

As is, the Captiva V6 has 4 O2 sensors, supposedly all the same part, so I doubt all 4 sensors have failed. Each O2 sensor can be bought for around $100 on ebay and an O2 sensor removal tool is around $20.

Using an OBD scan tool you could change the likely faulty sensor for less than $150 yourself if you have some basic mechanical ability and safety awareness (along with car ramps or trolley jack and axle stands).

But $900 sounds a bit steep if the fault has already been diagnosed as faulty O2 sensors....

Obviously YMMV depending on skill set :rolleyes:

@Skylarking , thanks for your response and details on changing O2 sensors. I will give it a try with factory workshop manual.

I believe the reason the mechanic was referring to O2 sensor was, Initially I used to put E10 in my car and after few days I got this warning light comming up and when he checked the codes in tool, his first question was 'have you been using E10 at 7/11', asked me to stop using it and try Shell's V-Power, it worked fine for over a month and got the warning light again, he double checked and found it's about O2 sensor, says, it's not a big issue, but if i ever want to fix it, I will have to get that fixed through Holden, that is when I called Holden and they've quoted aout $900.

Im going to visit another mechanic today, suggested by one of my colleague and take his opinion too and act accordingly.

Thanks again for your insights @Skylarking