Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
When Police cars are decommissioned they are supposed to reprogram the IPC to normal spec, not Police spec.

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
Woooo would you know what buttton it is you press? ive tried pressing and holding everything and nothing gets it off "--".
Ive contacted two different holden dealers. Neither of themknew the screen exists. I too also found out at that point that there are 3-4 recalls on my car

No not that I know of, none which remove the function from the dash anyway.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
When Police cars are decommissioned they are supposed to reprogram the IPC to normal spec, not Police spec.

Nope.

- Well, at least not in Victoria. They get sold as fast as the auctions get them, which is a soon as they remove all the gear and decommission the vehicle. Otherwise the vehicle is the way and taking up space.
When they do get serviced at a Holden dealer during their Police "service life" - unless the recall affects the vehicles brakes, steering, engine or suspension - it doesn't get done, as the vehicle is required "operationally" and sitting at dealer all day (or two) waiting a software update or piece of seat padding is wasting time. Most of the time, its a "vehicle required operationally/urgently scenario. (particularly Div Vans/ State HWY patrol etc)
- Same reason they never get "re-stickered" after a smash, soon as its repaired - its back out on the road.

All of the decommissioned Ambulance & VicPol Ford Territory's and Falcons still display "Police" on startup as well.
Gotta have something to prove it was a ex cop car right?

scozz76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2014 Evoke - VYII Acclaim
I've questioned one of the holden dealers (service guy) here in SA regarding the overspeed, he said it can't be changed. He also wasn't aware of the setting on the police vehicles so I would say he's guessing.

Also with the police vehicles, the keyfob has a huge range on it. I can be at least 50m away and still unlock my car which is a concern when I'm at work as I have accidentally unlocked the boot - fortunately I realised straight away.
Is there any way to adjust the sensitivity?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I've questioned one of the holden dealers (service guy) here in SA regarding the overspeed, he said it can't be changed. He also wasn't aware of the setting on the police vehicles so I would say he's guessing.

Also with the police vehicles, the keyfob has a huge range on it. I can be at least 50m away and still unlock my car which is a concern when I'm at work as I have accidentally unlocked the boot - fortunately I realised straight away.
Is there any way to adjust the sensitivity?
If the batteries are hood, they all work up to 100m away. As per the handbook. I can start mine from my second story office say 75m away with no window facing the car park. Which is great on cold winter or hot summer days.
No adjustment for range though. Short of wrapping the key in tinfoil.
Do you have to hold the boot button down for a few seconds or just one press?

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
Dictumst etiam at rutrum leo feugiat proin nisl at accumsan rhoncus ligula consectetur, metus malesuada amet ut cursus turpis diam dapibus senectus cubilia donec.

Last edited:

scozz76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2014 Evoke - VYII Acclaim
If the batteries are hood, they all work up to 100m away. As per the handbook. I can start mine from my second story office say 75m away with no window facing the car park. Which is great on cold winter or hot summer days.
No adjustment for range though. Short of wrapping the key in tinfoil.
Do you have to hold the boot button down for a few seconds or just one press?
Long press for boot button but the key was in my pocket

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Nope.

- Well, at least not in Victoria. They get sold as fast as the auctions get them, which is a soon as they remove all the gear and decommission the vehicle. Otherwise the vehicle is the way and taking up space.
When they do get serviced at a Holden dealer during their Police "service life" - unless the recall affects the vehicles brakes, steering, engine or suspension - it doesn't get done, as the vehicle is required "operationally" and sitting at dealer all day (or two) waiting a software update or piece of seat padding is wasting time. Most of the time, its a "vehicle required operationally/urgently scenario. (particularly Div Vans/ State HWY patrol etc)
- Same reason they never get "re-stickered" after a smash, soon as its repaired - its back out on the road.

All of the decommissioned Ambulance & VicPol Ford Territory's and Falcons still display "Police" on startup as well.
Gotta have something to prove it was a ex cop car right?

Part of the decommission is removing Police mode as the speedo calibration is also affected ie in Police mode the buffer is removed. I decommission Police vehicles as part of my job.

Can't see why you'd need to prove a car was ex Police but if you did simply looking at RPO codes would show this or vehicle history.

Gumboot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
All that captured speed does is save the speed of the vehicle at any rate when a button is pushed. Used to assist in enforcing traffic speeds. You push it again and it disappears.

Unsure of other states but in NSW this isn't true. The dash speedo isn't even used.