Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car accidents

jackodrummer

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
Unfortuantley my vx was involved in a head on collision and was hit front on at around 70kms an hour it was so hard that my whole drivers side doors have jamed shut and wont open due to impact bending the frame work. What gets my beef however is that the insurance company deems it suitable to be repaired. Does anyone think after coping a knock that hard and busting the radiatior the car will ever be the same. What gets my beef even more tho is that the driver of the other veichle who was at fault (proven) will be getting a nice check in her mail box for a new car as hers was written off. Am i stuck with a peice of **** now? let me know guys

Devistated vx owner but lucky to be alive

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
Shitt... Thats no good mate. Glad to hear that you're ok though. Geez, after that I would think it would be a definite write off, my uncles VS was written off after backing into a pole (damaged, but no where near as much as what you say yours it). Hopefully it works out the best way possible for you.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
If it's just panels then try get her to a reputable shop and it'll come out pretty right. If it's actual chassis damage (at 70kmh i'd be surprised if there's none) then it's a stat writeoff and new car time...

Radiator... not a big deal, it's not gonna make or break it :)

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
fuk that man, is her cheque from her insurance? how did it happen?

jackodrummer

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
Yeah mate same company as mine. Basically i was going straight at an interesction and she was waiting to turn right opposite end pretty hev traffic witness said that she overtook her van at like 80kms and just took the corner without slowing down or giving way and collected me going through the lights as per normal. Absolute bitch told the cops i ran a red not the case she got caught out on that yet she still is walking away with a new car no doubt at the end of the day.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
I'm sure you realise the way insurance works is that they will do whatever is cheaper for them. If they can repair your car for less than the cost of a payout then they will do that. I got involved in a accident on the way home from my wedding the day after. My new brother in law ran up the back of me at about 50km/h. Was not his fault though. Some idiot decided to do a right turn at the last minute when there were four cars behind. Each car having to stop harder. Anyway I barely managed to stop myself, my brother in law had no chance. Long story short, my boot was demolished. About $10,000 worth of damage. The car is insured for $13,600. I was given the choice by the insurance company of having it written off or repaired. I chose the repair because it's a vs supercharged calais with only 118,000km's on the clock. You can't find them in the condition as good as mine with such low k's. I talked to my repairer who I trust and they said 'newer' cars don't have the typical chassis that older cars had and can be repaired back to new condition. They drive line, diff, trans are all untouched. Most reputable repairers have machines available on site that can re-align a bent chassis. You should ask your repairer how much it will cost the insurance to repair the damage as opposed to the payout figure. If there's little difference and you really don't want the car back then argue with the insurance company and get a second opinion from another smash repairer.

batemada

Reaction score
Wellington, New Zealand (Yes i know yet another KI
Members Ride
2009 Gold Calais V Sportwagon
Do you have any pics, i have a couple of mates who are reputable panel beaters here in NZ and are regularly used by insurance companies to decide if it is worth fixing it or not, they maybe able to advise if it is worth/safe to get fixed.

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
When you say the front door won't open...

1\ Do you mean that it is physically impossible? (Bent chassis\B Pillar)
or
2\ The opening of the door is being obstructed by something like the front wheel guard?

When I used to drive a Ford around, I got rear ended by a VT Equipe. $3000 damage to my 1994 Falcon and the VT copped nothing more than a cracked headlight and scratch mark on the bumper. Man I was pissed. She hit me at about 60kmh too. After all that... i just said show me the money.

jackodrummer

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
yeah mate bent chasis both front and rear door wont open. Its crap its a slap in the face and kick up the arse for me cause resale on it will only be 6K not even and its done 80 000kms

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
When an insurance company is deciding if a car is going to be a write off they don't just consider the cost of repairs. They also take into account how much they could get for the parts of the car that are still ok.
So If you have a car insured for $20,000 and you do $16,000 of damage and they believe they can get $4,000 or more for the rest of the car then they will delare it a write off.