Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car alarm install ideas.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Hey all im about to install my alarm but no quite sure where to mount it, i've got an idea in the engine bay to place it up in a high area, but is it legal to mount new things in my engine bay? like only certain areas? i got roadworthy this week so i dont wanna get a fail on it.

thanks all :thumbsup:

COO1VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK CALAIS V8/95 VS EXECUTIVE
shouldn't have any probs mines mounted just above that black cannister on the front of the wheel arch (under the coolant resevior) My car still passed rego.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
Most alarm systems i have seen have been mounted in the engine bay. I think you should be pretty right. Maybe ring the inspection place just to be sure?

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Mines mounted inside the flip down panel under the steering wheel (on a vn). The good thing about that is it's close to all the wiring you need for power,lights etc.

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
do you mean the alarm "box" or the siren?

sires are allowed anywere in the engine bay mines mounted to my strut tower on the drivers side. and the alarm "box" is mounted above the drivers kick pannel but up behind the dash teckied to the steel of the frame.

this is a standard set up for any car that is how they will be mounted.

mine was done buy a professional and its perfect no troubbles at all

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

It's just the siren :D

Should be all good. :yeah:

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
When I get my new alarm, I am going to mount the black box in a suitable die cast box from Jaycar and mount it on the firewall in the engine bay or something. With all the wiring and stuff the units take up, there is simply not enough room under the dash to place it. At least if I put it in the engine bay, it won't be tampered with.

What alarm did you end up buying Goon?

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
I an't saying nothing more mate, i got my own setup, and if a speak then word gets about, people learn and ill have to think of something different, it won't be so secure anymore.

For all we know, car theives check forums like this to see where rides are about.

It's all a matter of security and my rides maxed out!

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
Mounting the siren in the engine bay is fine, in fact, that is where you are supposed to.

For the best security, the relay should be mounted inside the cabin. I have mine in the passengers side kickpanel. In the VK, this is larger than the drivers side kickpanel so there is plenty of room. The EST module is normally mounted there but mine doesn't have this any more so I have the alarm there.
In mine, it right next to the main wiring loom through the wall so you can keep all the wiring inside the cabin.

At work, I have heard stories about mounting it in the engine bay. This is because a bonnet pin can be gotten around and the bonnet opened. It's harder to get around door switches. You can also get under the car and access poorly located relays.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Thanks for the extra tips mate. :thumbsup:

Would anybody suggest having the red light in view? or out of sight?