Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car alarm on hot days

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
My car (VS SII) has an aftermarket alarm system installed, im not sure what it is exactly. When the car heats up in the sun, the alarm goes off until i go unlock/relock it, then it's fine.

At the moment i'm looking at having to get a completely new system installed because of this problem. Does anyone know things i could check?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I had a similar problem with a cheap crap alarm. Fairly sure its related to the quality of it :p

Just get your new one done and all should be right.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
I had this problem with my $600 alarm system. Do you have any switches attached to your bonnet?

In my case it turned out to be the little button switch that they stick where the bonnet closes. There was just enough contact with the bonnet, but when I parked it in the hot sun, everything expanded and the alarm went off within 10 minutes without fail.

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
I had this problem with my $600 alarm system. Do you have any switches attached to your bonnet?

In my case it turned out to be the little button switch that they stick where the bonnet closes. There was just enough contact with the bonnet, but when I parked it in the hot sun, everything expanded and the alarm went off within 10 minutes without fail.

I am having the same annoying problem and yes I do have a switch for the bonnet. How did you rectify the problem? I don't particulary want to replace the entire system.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
I am having the same annoying problem and yes I do have a switch for the bonnet. How did you rectify the problem? I don't particulary want to replace the entire system.

I went to Bunnings and bought a pack of those small adhesive plastic buttons for like $2 and stuck one on the underside of my bonnet, at the point where it makes contact with the switch when shut.

Do you know its the bonnet switch for sure?

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
I went to Bunnings and bought a pack of those small adhesive plastic buttons for like $2 and stuck one on the underside of my bonnet, at the point where it makes contact with the switch when shut.

Do you know its the bonnet switch for sure?

That's brilliant :thumbsup: I am off to get some.

No I don't know for sure but if the above tip doesn't work, it's a good bet that it isn't the switch.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
That's brilliant :thumbsup: I am off to get some.

No I don't know for sure but if the above tip doesn't work, it's a good bet that it isn't the switch.

Cheers.

That button I stuck on has been there for about 5 years now and still hasn't fallen off, and it gets pretty hot in my shed during summer where the car is stored.

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
hot days in the sun,alarms do go off it could be the microwave sensor or the bonnet,boot or so forth.

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
Tip worked a treat :thumbsup: I stuck on the little rubber protector where the switch meets the bonnet, parked the car in the sun and not a peep from the alarm. Thanks MasterOfReality! :bow: