Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car amps

Beav

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 vr commodore
Ive got one for quarter of the price

DAZ60L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Thanks stone so if I can find an amp that's 150 x 4 should that cover it ..... Forget what brand or maximum watt.....150 x 4 is the figures I need to look at when buying.... Sorry to steal thread I thought I was asking a simple question...(obviously not) .....I already have a system and have installed the speakers and I'm sure the amp I'm running is crap so trying to work out what to get and really don't know much about this sort of stuff

Beav

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 vr commodore
It's alright mate, these threads are here to help people when we have a problem or issue we can't solve. This thread has seemed to cover a fair bit of information :)

Matt Smith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
if its a single 4ohm coil, I'd get a bigger 2 channel amp to run it, something like the ReSponse 2x150watt from Jaycar.

Otherwise, to get a good amount of power into a single 4ohm sub will require a monoblock that does something like 2000watts at 1ohm.

That 2x150 watt amp is Class AB, which run at a lower efficiency than Class D (Monoblock), Regarding the brand, i use their cable wouldn't touch their amps.

Going to ignore your suggestion of 2000rms @ 1 for this user.

Ok I pulled the sub out of the box to get some details. On the bottom of the subwoofer is what a presume to be a product number which is TS-W307D4

Also has 1200 W MAX
400 W NOM

Hope this helps

Wonderful it does. So your Sub has a RMS rating of 400 Watts. It also is 4 Ohm, and has dual voice coils. What this means is you can decide the load that this sub will present to a amp, in this case its 8 (Voice Coils in Series) or 2 Ohm (Voice Coils in Parallel). Therefore a suitable amp depending on price range are the following:

Pioneer GM-D7500M

Alpine MRX-M50

Kicker ZX400.1

Polk Audio PA 600.1

Option Audio OAK600

They're in no particular order.

Now to pick one... (I'm a polk audio fan, i currently have a option audio amp, and I'm going to replace it with alpine)

Its your choice. As audio is a subjective topic and different users has different goals heres my suggestion. Develop a rapport with a retailer of your choosing that stocks car audio, talk to them about your goals and ask for advice, possible upgrades etc. If you doubt their opinion, shop around or come back to the forums. Now that you know a range of amps that are suitable go and find them on a shelf and ask if you can have a listen.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
^just wondering, and im not starting an argument here, but whats wrong with Jaycar's Response amps?

i have the 4x100rms 4CH in my ute, 100rms to each set of splits in front (morel maximo 6 - 90rms) and then bridged to put out 350rms to my sub (Polk MM1040 SVC, 350rms)

at $300 for the amp im more than happy with it, in the past 7 months ive had it hasent failed me once, id happily buy one again if i was in the same position or recommend one to someone in the same position

i just wanna hear your opinion as to why you dont suggest them, thats all

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
That 2x150 watt amp is Class AB, which run at a lower efficiency than Class D (Monoblock), Regarding the brand, i use their cable wouldn't touch their amps.

Going to ignore your suggestion of 2000rms @ 1 for this user.

For a ~450watt class AB amp, its going to make stuff all difference, if your alternator can't power it, then you need a new alternator.
The only issue will be that its bigger.

My comment about needing a 2000watt at 1ohm monoblock, was because Beav said it was a single 4ohm sub, the only way he'd have gotten decent power to it would have been by running a mono that did about 2000 watts at 1ohm.

Nice try, but you fail.

Matt Smith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
^just wondering, and im not starting an argument here, but whats wrong with Jaycar's Response amps?

i have the 4x100rms 4CH in my ute, 100rms to each set of splits in front (morel maximo 6 - 90rms) and then bridged to put out 350rms to my sub (Polk MM1040 SVC, 350rms)

at $300 for the amp im more than happy with it, in the past 7 months ive had it hasent failed me once, id happily buy one again if i was in the same position or recommend one to someone in the same position

i just wanna hear your opinion as to why you dont suggest them, thats all

They're not in my price bracket.

I believe the quality of components is lower than that of other brands.

They run a higher Signal to Noise Ratio compared to other brands leading me to believe above point.

They don't seem to be a well documented product.

I believe their Rated RMS values are incredibly close to actual RMS values, with a very moderate derate.

There form factor is larger than other brands (like to run a seemingly stock setup, easier to hide)

Most importantly i dont enjoy the sound they produce.

Matt Smith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
For a ~450watt class AB amp, its going to make stuff all difference, if your alternator can't power it, then you need a new alternator.
The only issue will be that its bigger.

My comment about needing a 2000watt at 1ohm monoblock, was because Beav said it was a single 4ohm sub, the only way he'd have gotten decent power to it would have been by running a mono that did about 2000 watts at 1ohm.

Nice try, but you fail.

If you lessen the effects of your audio system on the stock electrics you will promote the life of them. Pick up efficiency where you can.

Not true, a properly setup 400 watt amp into a 4 ohm sub will provide decent power to this user.

Once again i find my self ignoring parts of your posting, I surely hope it doesn't continue.

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
If you lessen the effects of your audio system on the stock electrics you will promote the life of them. Pick up efficiency where you can.

Not true, a properly setup 400 watt amp into a 4 ohm sub will provide decent power to this user.

Once again i find my self ignoring parts of your posting, I surely hope it doesn't continue.

a monoblock that does 400watts at 1ohm won't do 400watts at 4ohm.

~1200watts at 1ohm would probably give about 400watts at 4ohm.

get it?

KAL SPL

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Blown VS Calais !!
Beav : get a pioneer 7500m amp , it will match your sub correctly.

Daz : get a pioneer 9500f , 75rms x 4 will run any brand/quality speakers satisfactorily