Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Audio 101: Speakers that woof! and Kennels to put them in.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Bass is a wonderful thing, especially when you can feel it in your car. I'm not talking about bass that shakes the pictures off the wall, but solid bass that accentuates the music your listening to....Who am I kidding?! Most people want bass thats going to turn heads and crack the pavement right?

I once built for a customer a ground pounding setup that consisted of three JL Audio 12W6 subwoofers powered by a 1200Wrms PPI amplifier and a horn loaded compression driver front stage powered by a 600wrms PPI amplifier. This system was tested at 146dB. Later on the owner wanted the car LOUDER and I ended up installing a single 18" Cerwin Vega Stroker that produced 156dB, which is louder than a fighter jet during take off. Just to give you an idea of how loud this car was, it physically hurt to be in this car at even half volume. Whilst it was loud and clear it wasn't enjoyable to listen to due to the physical discomfort...it literally blurred your vision. Imagine the hearing loss potential this thing had!

A system that is built properly can be a delight to listen to during a drive home from work or school or a blast to have it cranked up at the beach or down the main drag. This is no easy feat to acheive, as the acoustics characterstics of the interior are a real bitch to work with. This is especially true with sedans, coupes and wagons, not so much with hatchbacks...go figure huh?

The job of a subwoofer is to move air. Thats it. Nothing else. Just move air. The larger the surface area of the cone the more it air it will move and therefore will produce higher sound pressure levels (SPL)

There are five different sized woofers that are commonly used to produce sub bass...8" 10" 12" 15" and the bad boy.....18". The size that suits you is determined by the size of your boot and the music you listen to. I don't recall the last time I used 8"s for bass...Only where space is a premium. eg. Porsche, MX5s and what not. More often then not it is either 10s or 12s being used. Both will play down to 20Hz (the threshold of human hearing on the lower end of the scale) but the 12" will move more air so generally is louder. It will really depend on what your musical preference is and how much space you can dedicate to the woofers enclosure. Once you have selected the woofer you have to decide what type of enclosure you want.

A sealed enclosure is generally small in size and is the most acoustic in terms of sound quality. Since the air inside the enclosure acts as a cushion against bottoming out, a sealed enclosure has better power handling capability if you plan to use a high powered system.

Ported enclosures are larger and more complex in design due to the port design involved. Port sizes and lengths have to be calculated in order to tune the enclosure. A properly ported enclosure will play lower then a sealed enclosure at the expense of the box being physically bigger. An attribute of ported enclosures is that they are fairly efficent and require less power than sealed enclosures but are great if you want loud, slamming sub bass.

Another enclosure that isn't as popular as the sealed or ported enclosures it the band pass. A band pass has the actual subwoofer mounted INSIDE the box and the output of the woofer is directed out of a ported portion of an enclosure. This enclosure is designed to play LOUDLY within a specific frequency band that is generally narrower than most. e.g from 35Hz to 60Hz, but the frequencies outside of those areas decrease in amplitude very rapidly, and as a result, you can end up having a very booming box that isn't musical at all. Due to the narrow frequency response and the difficulty of designing and constructing a band pass properly, it's not a very desirable enclosure, but it's definetly the coolest looking one. Most bandpass enclosure have plexiglass fronts that allows the woofer to be seen or highlighted with creative lighting effects.

All enclosures have a 3dB down point - the point where where a frequency is 3dB quiter than frequencies above this point. At this point, bass response begins to taper off considerably, and since every enclosure has this point be sure to bear in mind where you want that when beginning design of your enclosure. If you listen to rock the last thing you want is a bandpass box. If you are looking at building an all out SPL Monster and have the room to spare then go with multiples of 10s or 12s or a few 15s or 18s that will move massive amounts of air.

Feel free to ask any questions.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
sealed boxes are usually faster arent they?

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
sealed have more "punch". dunno what you mean by faster though...
with a bandpass that has multiple ports, can you have one port tuned to a specific range and then another port tuned to a different range? why are ports tuned the same?
also last Q my cerwin vega sub (diecast basket, about 300 wrms, not quite top of the range.) is nice (i tested it on a mates 350Wrms bass amp.) but would the jaycar carbon subs have better SQ than my vega? i didnt buy it so i dont know the price.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
as a safe guess I would say the CV is the better SQ producer...they were always incredible pieces of equipment.

No, you can't tune the ports differently. Doing so makes the ports try to act as a crossover...where do te inbetween frequencies go? They have to go somwhere in all there unfiltered, untuned and disgusting sounding glory....they still come out of the box.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Hi I have a Soundstream Rubicon12 which is 250wrms in a sealed enclosure running off a 150wrms 2 channel (bridged). I listen to allot of rap music with long low bass notes, would a ported box be better for me? I went to the soundstream website and they have the correct box specs but I can't make much sense out of them. The box I have is just an old box I had laying around which has been recovered to make it look nice. It is nice and bassy but I have grown used to it and want more, maybe a bigger amp?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Can you give me the model number and I can send you a design for the box...also, need the widest possibile width and the highest possible width...but, find me the details now.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
I managed to find this guide, I think I like the small high output ported box for rap. But I am hopeless at building such devices LOL

Last edited:

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
i thought i would just give this thread a bump in case any newbs havent seen it.

dan-wess

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY S Pac Series II
So just to check before i spend my hard earned cash, I like rock and metal music, but have the wife and the kids in the car frequently so the volume gets turned down a lot, also when we go away the boot is piled up with all the crap in the world so.... a single 10 or 12'' in an enclosed box, small and punchy?? oh and is it acceptable to mount the amp on to the back of the box or not? where is best/acceptable positions to mount an amp??
Thanks
Dan

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
each to their own but i would rather a 12" over a 10" in a sealed enclosure. dont mount your amp on enclosure because the vibration will reduce its life by heaps. id make an mdf wall on the side of the boot and mount the amp on that or on back of rear seats .etc