Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Audio 101: The Fundamentals

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Whenever you are planning to upgrade something on your vehicle, it's always wise to set up a budget before you spend a cent. A solid budget will immediatly determine the price range of the product you will eventually buy. Once you have a budget the next step is to look at the current state of your cars audio system. Lets assume that the system is stock. In 96' Commodore, where do you start? Generally the first thing that you should replace is the head unit, as it's directly responsible for the sound quality of your entire system, despite the fact that it's more expensive than replacing the dirty sound through lousy speakers. But remember, the sound will still sound dirty through quality speakers...Basic No1 ;)

An aftermarket HU has a more powerful built in amplifier designed to drive four speakers and usuall will have a rated power of 50Watts Max per channel and about 15-20Wrms Most OE headunits have a TOTAL of 25wrms between all four channels :S

The peak power of a HU is typically the most advertised but that is somewhat misleading, as the maximum power rating is not a constant rating and only occurs during dynamic points in the music. So does this mean that more power is better? No, not exactly. But aftermarket HUs produce more power with less distortion. Remember this - harmonic distortion is like detonation in an engine; it can cause damage if not controlled. Many people with stock speakers end up replacing them due to a buzz or rattle that soon develops. What they don't realise is that the distortion from their headunit and high volume levels have damaged the voice coil on the speaker or have caused overexertion in the cone of the speaker resulting in physical damage.

Feel free to ask any questions....

scott.waldon

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman 5.7L
12Voltking, you are such a champ :D , your always there helping people out and giving them a lending hand and i think its great :D, Youve got sum more rep points now:)
Keep up the great help and hints etc. :thumbsup:

V

VKnVLCalais

hey 12volt, can u do a thread on the so called "Myths" of car audio if u know any. for example um...things u find people always say to u or ask u that just isnt true.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
VKnVLCalais, I could, but what you would have to bear in mind is that I can't really dispel a lot of myths because some are such a big mystery that I don't know the answer, but I can certainly compile a thread for you all...

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
12Voltking said:
some are such a big mystery that I don't know the answer

And here was me thinking that there was nothing you couldn't answer in the world of car electronics/audio. :my:

Genesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E Station Wagon
There is nothing, he's just being modest.

jolly_97

THE VACATIONER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP Vacationer
lol, i got a question. u say an aftermarket HU is 10-15W RMS, that pretty much mean u HAVE to have an amp to get the best outta ure speakers. my 6x9's are 80W RMS and the front 16cm door speakers are 50W RMS off memory so even if i crank my HU up to full volume on the most crazy song in the world, its near impossible to **** my speakers? ill be buyin an amp eventually for the sub im gettin and ill probably do a setup like 2 channels bridged to the sub and 2 to the 6x9's, who needs door speakers to be good haha. how much clearer will it make it if i get an amp?

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
You can still stuff your speakers by underpowering them and clipping the internal amplifier in the HU. Sending a clipped unit to speakers is as bad, if not worse than overpowering them

jolly_97

THE VACATIONER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP Vacationer
hrmm yeah true.. i spose they will survive for a while before i get an amp and a sub tho. 4ch amp, 2 channels for the 6x9's and 2 bridged channels for the sub. should be wicked, im just waitin for all my **** to come from ebay now, another 2 weeks and it'll be here...