Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Audio Wiring

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
I need help people. I have just got my amp after 6 weeks of waiting, but I don't have the wiring yet. I read the book that I got with the amp (Alpine MRP-M1000) and it says I should use 1 metre of 4 guage wire MAX, running from a distribution block with 2 gauge wire coming from the battery into the distribution block. This makes it pretty hard to buy a wiring kit that has it all included for me. What I need to know is, is it really that important to use the distribution block with the 2 gauge wire going in, and 1 metre of 4 gauge wire coming out, or can I get away with running 4 gauge wire from the battery straight to the amp, obviously going through the fuse too. This is a pretty powerful amp so I wasn't really sure, hence why I am asking :).

For those of you who don't know:
Apling MRP-M1000
1000W RMS x 1 (2Ohm @ 14.4V)
600W RMS x 1 (4Ohm @ 14.4V)

I have 2 4Ohm subs which I will be running in parallel, therefore giving me 2Ohm impedance.

Thanks for any help :).

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
4 gauge from the battery will be fine, you'd only need 2 gauge and a distro if running multiple amps

TWOJZ

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL shagon ;)
for this amplifier, the smallest I'd use is 4ga

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Ok thanks guys, thats make it easier then :). I saw at JB's an audio line 4 gauge wiring kit. What do you think this would be like? good? crap? As it's very hard to come across 4 gauge wiring kits (well I have found it hard), where should I go to get good quality stuff?
Thanks for the help so far.

TWOJZ

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL shagon ;)
dont buy a kit, just buy the cable and connectors.

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
oh ok thanks TWOJZ. Just from Jaycar? Thats the only place I can really think that would sell this all individually. Them or Dick Smith, but Jaycar are more auto oriented aren't they?

Last edited:

TWOJZ

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL shagon ;)
yeah, Jaycar would have it.

I normally just get black cable, it looks better than red :)

you may get a wiring kit for cheap, but chances are it'll have things you don't need, or the rca cable will be bad quality.

edit: bugger me, the 4ga cable from Jaycar is now $8.40 a meter! ouch!

you'll need 6 meters total of it too :p maybe more.

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
ok sweet, so jaycar will be able to supply me with all the cables needed? Power, ground, RCA etc? and the fuses too..