Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car dealer are very agitating. Tried to raise the price during negotiations.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
Has anyone ever had his craziness;

The used car manager took my car for 24 hours to get a trade in value. Let's say $x. Then we negotiate. So he gets very busy and some young chap starting writing up our offer. So he comes back rejected by both their boss and says the trade in on my car is now $Y, less then what the first dealer tells me. So the three of these guys meet my wife and I and tell me the reason they cannot do the deal (and we were prepared to pay stickerprice for the car) was they priced it too cheap because when they bought it, they bought the wrong model car by mistake and it was not as high end as they first thought.

But they had all day to get a look at my car and then during negotiations tried to lower the trade price. It's nuts.

Then I was told their cars may increase in value because of Japan supply.

Now the car was very well priced, had I sold my WK caprice already I'd have paid sticker price. If by some chance I can sell my car private for a little above their offer I'll go back and offer cash for their car.

/posted via mobile device\

S.T.K.E

Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 D22 Navara Dual Cab 4x4
Supply and Demand my friend.

Welcome to the world of sales, plenty of demand with no supply............... price when up.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
yeah that's a fairly raw deal mate, I'd be pissed off too.
if you had sufficient evidence and lots of time, you could take the matter to the office of fair trading in regards to them not selling at advertised price. But at the end of it all, the car you wanted would be sold, the dealer would get a slap on the wrist & you'd get stuff all compensation.

but yeah mate, I know what it's like to be stuffed around by a dealer. I went through similar crap when trading in my old crotch rocket on a later model at a Yamaha dealer.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
They didn't so much increase the price of the car but reduced the price of my trade in to compensate.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Then I was told their cars may increase in value because of Japan supply.

rubbish. i import cars from japan, and supply has not dipped even slightly. just cos' a little fishing town got hit with a wave and a nuclear recator is on the brink of meltdown, the rest of the country is fine. auctions still running as normal. PLUS the price of a japanese car landed and complied in OZ should only reflect the cost it took to bring it here. just cos' other cars are more expensive makes no difference to current cars.

what car was it?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Your best defence against unscrupulous and unfair practice is your feet.

Walk away - they need your money to keep in business much more than you need their car.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It's a pity a verbal contract holds no sway here. If it did, then the first deal they offered would have to be honored.

Was the price written up on the OTP at all before it was changed?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
We wrote up our offer only. Even the used sales manager was supposed when they changed his offer, but what can he do when his boss does it?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
An offer isn't binding until it is accepted, both parties sign the OTP at the bottom. Once that is signed, there is no backing out for anyone.

I'd walk. Go find another car.