Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

car egging

TheGrimReaper

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
Hey there. So two weeks ago my car got egged just like every other car down my street. I cleaned what I thought was all the egg but apon cleaning the car today I see that I have missed a few bits. The paint around it seems to have cracked and I'm worried about the paint work. Is there any way I can get it off without scratching or scraping the paintwork. I have photos if you require to see just what happened but after a nice way of getting it off as I washed my car today and I couldn't get it off.

Cheers

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Try using a clay bar, with clay lube.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Hey there. So two weeks ago my car got egged just like every other car down my street. I cleaned what I thought was all the egg but apon cleaning the car today I see that I have missed a few bits. The paint around it seems to have cracked and I'm worried about the paint work. Is there any way I can get it off without scratching or scraping the paintwork. I have photos if you require to see just what happened but after a nice way of getting it off as I washed my car today and I couldn't get it off.

Cheers

Hate to tell you but eggs take paint off.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
The impact of eggshell on paint also cracks the paint.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Yeah, unfortunately you will be left with cracks in the paint around the impact and staining of the paint at best. Worst case is the egg ate through the clear.
To fix you really need to get it resprayed.

Also if it happens again, wash the egg off ASAP as the longer it stays on there the worse the damage.

robmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
I wonder if this would be covered by insurance?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I wonder if this would be covered by insurance?

Most likely yes, but you will have to weigh the difference between your excess + rise in insurance next time, against the cost of repairs.
The bludgers will up the insurance cost next year as they did to me for a not at fault smash.
Get a quote then look at your costs.
I am sure the VY is 2 pack paint so try cleaning with turps first, even all purpose thinners.
If you are concerned with using thinners, try a spot under the sill where it is not seen first.