Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car having trouble starting

crewsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sierra
Hey Guys,
I went to start my car this morning and it was cranking and then it started to idle but died after like a second. ive noticed that it starts all the time and then every now and then it will do this and I have to wait about 20 mins before I can try start it again... does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

crewsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sierra
ok so i've checked for fault codes and its come up with this...
fault code 31 - theft deterrent signal missing
fault code 46 - no reference signal while cranking

now I would think it has something to do with 46.. if anyone knows more on this, could you kindly point me in the right direction on how to fix it

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
46 sounds like the hall effect sensor in the distributer. Clear your error codes by removing the engine fuse for a bit then take it for a drive and see if any new ones pop up.
likely no 46 wont come up till it does the starting issue it again.

Likely causes are the plug may be losse wires that go to it may be broken or have poor connection or dirty terminals
or the sensor itself may be on the way out

crewsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sierra
46 sounds like the hall effect sensor in the distributer. Clear your error codes by removing the engine fuse for a bit then take it for a drive and see if any new ones pop up.
likely no 46 wont come up till it does the starting issue it again.

Likely causes are the plug may be losse wires that go to it may be broken or have poor connection or dirty terminals
or the sensor itself may be on the way out

yeh thats what I was thinking as well... gonna suck getting to it :(
will reset it and check again first to see what happens
thanks for your input mate!

vtsam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore S2
i have had the same problem. where my car wouldnt start i got the error code 47 which is a crank angel sensor. had it replaced and its been perfect. mind you i had spent 100's on new fuel pump battery and everyother peice of crap 4 differnt machanics replaced, who said it was caused from all this crap and none of them got it right. it wasnt till a mate of mine used this diagnostic thing and code 47 came up and yer. 4 differnty machanics ripped me off... why coz im a girl grrrr. if nuthing else u try works get ur crqank angle sensor checkd

crewsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sierra
i have had the same problem. where my car wouldnt start i got the error code 47 which is a crank angel sensor. had it replaced and its been perfect. mind you i had spent 100's on new fuel pump battery and everyother peice of crap 4 differnt machanics replaced, who said it was caused from all this crap and none of them got it right. it wasnt till a mate of mine used this diagnostic thing and code 47 came up and yer. 4 differnty machanics ripped me off... why coz im a girl grrrr. if nuthing else u try works get ur crqank angle sensor checkd

I dont have a crank angle sensor, they only came out in series 2 VT onwards with the LS1 engine. The hall effect sensor does the same thing on the holden 5L but just much more of a prick to change