Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Insurance - Need Help!

Wherry951

PROJECT UNDERWAY
Reaction score
Members Ride
Im 17 From Suncoast QLD and i just got my p's and a VS

I live on my own now so i cant exactly afford insurance and i also know nothing about it, its all confusing to me.

Do you need insurance to drive on the road? Ive heard u get CTP with ur rego. Is it worth risking the fact that u wont crash or have ur car vandalised and just not pay for insurance?

On another thread i saw a guy say bite the bullet and register it in your name but have no listed drivers. What would this mean and how would it affect price? Remember im in year 12 and live on my own so pretty short on money, really cant afford insurance

Thanks

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Im 17 From Suncoast QLD and i just got my p's and a VS

I live on my own now so i cant exactly afford insurance and i also know nothing about it, its all confusing to me.

Do you need insurance to drive on the road? Ive heard u get CTP with ur rego. Is it worth risking the fact that u wont crash or have ur car vandalised and just not pay for insurance?

On another thread i saw a guy say bite the bullet and register it in your name but have no listed drivers. What would this mean and how would it affect price? Remember im in year 12 and live on my own so pretty short on money, really cant afford insurance

Thanks

If you cant afford insurance, you shouldnt be driving. Can you afford to fix a $$$ car? Its not just about your car..... what about what you could hit? Other cars/fixtures....

VLSS643

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL SS GroupA & VE Maloo
If you cant afford 3rd party property insurance then you shouldn't be on the road.

What if you write off a 50 or 100,000 dollar car, or a couple because you caused an accident.

VLSS643

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL SS GroupA & VE Maloo
^^^^^ fool

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR

You don't "get CTP with your rego", you have to buy CTP to get your rego. It's not an option, you have to have it to register your car. If you get caught driving an unregistered car (and you will) you're up for big fines and penalties.

Most insurers let you restrict insurance coverage to only cover people specifically listed on the policy. This is generally most useful to older people (parents etc) who can say "my 17 year old son WON'T be driving this car", and their premium will go down to reflect this reduced risk.

Given that you're pretty much the absolute worst crash risk in existence (teenage male with no money who falsifies log book entries), the amount you might save here is negligible, but if you aren't going to let your mates or parents etc drive your car then it can't really hurt much.

In case you don't know already, there are basically 3 types of insurance:
1) CTP, which as mentioned is mandatory, covers injuries you inflict on other people (note it only covers people, not property).

2) 3rd party property. This is optional (legally speaking) and covers damage you cause to other peoples' property (cars, houses, fences etc) - some insurers also bundle limited fire and theft coverage into 3rd party policies, meaning if your car gets stolen or catches on fire you may be eligible for some reimbursement.

3) Comprehensive insurance (also optional), which covers the same items as 3rd party, plus damage to your vehicle. Depending on your circumstances this may or may not be a logical purchase. For example, if your comprehensive premium is $5000p.a and you drive a car worth $2000, it's probably not worth it.

I would 100% agree with previous comments, that at the very least you should have 3rd party property insurance. If you can't afford that, you can't afford to drive really. I personally know someone who bought an old Datsun, wrote it off into new Corolla. On top of all the charges the police laid on him, he was up for $30,000 of Corolla which ended up forcing him into bankrupcy - a nasty mark which follows you around. For the sake of a few hundred dollars a year, don't skimp on it. If you say "I'm a student and can't afford it" then just catch the train - you're a student after all...

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
yeah i know it sounds bad but id make sure i drive sensibly

This is only for a few months whilst im at school. Then i can afford it, its just the year 12 factor and that im living in my own place makes it hard

Then don't drive for a few months. Seriously, it's that simple.

LowVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ute
sketchy as driving with out insurance mate.
Its not really upto, you gota worry about others that could hit you or turn in front ect.

Slippy_Trippy

Unicorn Shepard
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II Commodore Acclaim
Dont be stupid, you could end u; in debt for a long time ifyou hit something.

You get CTP PERSON with your rego which covers other peoples medical. CTP PROPERTY must be purchased later.

Every single P plater that want to drive a commodore has to put up with insurance. I dealt with a $2000 premium my first year with a $1400 XS.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
I live on my own now so i cant exactly afford insurance and i also know nothing about it, its all confusing to me. Remember im in year 12 and live on my own so pretty short on money, really cant afford insurance

If you can't afford Insurance then DO NOT DRIVE ON THE ROAD.

yeah i know it sounds bad but id make sure i drive sensibly

You drive sensibly do you? Your 17, just got your P's and your license...easy to say. No experience of the road or experience of how to deal with tricky situation. The cost of insurance for young drivers is not there just because everyone hates young males or P platers. It's because history and statistics show that P platers are more likely to do something stupid or crash because they are showing off/can't drive/have no experience of the road.

It's not about how you drive anyway, what if your just doing the speed limit and someone pulls out in front of you and you hit them and write off both your car and his? The point is, there are some situations that you just can't control and if your not covered for at least the damage you do to other people's property then it can seriously screw up your life for the next 20 years.

This is only for a few months whilst im at school. Then i can afford it, its just the year 12 factor and that im living in my own place makes it hard

If it's only for a few months, then bite the bullet and don't drive, take a train or a bus, or a taxi. Your in year 12, be sensible. Driving isn't everything and if driving comes at the cost of insurance then you shouldn't be driving.

I'm 18 on my P's, it costs me $500 per year for Third Party Fire and Theft insurance with Aami covering a list of non-standard features on my car. It's not that hard to pay. If you can't pay it all in a lump sum, then you can opt for monthly payments to spread it out.

If your short on cash and really have to drive, then to save up your insurance money, cut out buying alcohol, maccas, soft drinks etc. Live with the necessities. It's all about priorities, you can't have everything.

If you cant afford 3rd party property insurance then you shouldn't be on the road.

Enough Said.