Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

car is over heating.... but not?

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
head gasket kit was around $140 when I did Bens VN.

My checks would be... pretty much what has already been said.

A. Check for any leaks.... if your losing coolant, Find out where from & fix it! lol, check hoses etc, for cracks & tight seals. Obviously leaving it running over concrete or something should show any leaks that drip. & High pressure ones can be seen after reaching operating pressure.

B. check that cooling system was bled correctly, air pockets will cause temp rises.

C. Check thermostat. Better yet, its cheap, & not a hard fix (well on series 2... its a piece of piss ;)) so replace it & the thermostat gasket.

D. Head gasket blown.... or worse the head. Check for milky oil, oil in radiator, check for sweet smelling white smoke from the exhaust. All these things can tell you about a blown head gasket/ head.

Bens VN (series 2 Calais) was a water pump to inlet hose that blew the nite he got the car, once that was fixed, the build up of pressure from the damaged hose caused the head gasket to blow (& WOW did it go!) 4 days later.

But I fixed it, & I still know the new owner... & all sweet ever since....

so HTH & Good Luck!

D.

edit : I think he got quoted around $350-$400 at the time to fix it.

mongoose3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
I smell a rat here! If they were concerned about your head gasket when the replaced the radiator why didn't they tell you there and then rather than waiting until you came back. You know it is entirely possible that they did not fill or bleed your system correctly and have caused damage to your engine! If there was oil in your radiator there would be water in your oil as well and you will have a milky build up under your oil cap. Did they put the 3 cooling system tabs in that GM recommend? Don't let them take you for a fool!

S

steve_sarge

Fully said:
just got back from the radiator joint and they reckon it is a head gasket :bang:
he pressure checked it and it seem to be fine, when they flushed it last week it apparently had some oil in the radiator.

so now i have to blow this car up! :flame:

anyone have a rough idea of cost on a head gasket?

cheers!

Jezza

I would also take a punt and suggest that you check for the simple things too.
I was losing water in my old VN quicker than it was going in. All was good in the radiator / heater department so I thought I should look into the head gasket side of things.
I am good mates with the Service Manager at my local Holden Dealership so I bought the gasket set through him ;) . As it turned out, I quite simply had a FU#%$ED inlet manifold gasket. Cheap to fix and the only fiddly thing I came across was the bolts on the inlet manifold. They have some hard to get at angles, and as these need to be torque tightened, I would suggest getting some assistance from someone with the correct tooling.

My opinion to all out there is: Get personal with your ride where you can, as you appreciate that the "big things" are actually not Ben Hur afterall.

Take the test and give it a shot. If you end up with the same problem that I had, you are one lucky driver.

Good Luck Jezza

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
If there was oil in your cooling system then ,there should be some there now also.
It is possible to have oil in your radiator and not have water in your oil.
Get a second oppinion.

Fully

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Sv6
well cars at the mechanics till thurdays day, he found the leak (steve_sarge is on the money), it was the inlet manifold gasket, so hopefully all is well after it is fixed.

would this affect the performance of my car at all? as the car has been running pretty average, not as much acceleration and is using about 14ltr/100kms which is too high for my liking.

cheers!

jezza

p.s. he said about $300 for the inlet manifold gasket?

S

steve_sarge

Fully said:
well cars at the mechanics till thurdays day, he found the leak (steve_sarge is on the money), it was the inlet manifold gasket, so hopefully all is well after it is fixed.

would this affect the performance of my car at all? as the car has been running pretty average, not as much acceleration and is using about 14ltr/100kms which is too high for my liking.

cheers!

jezza

p.s. he said about $300 for the inlet manifold gasket?

Is this price fitted I ask???
That shouldn't be way over the top (price wise) it does sound a bit steep though.
If you are replacing your inlet manifold gasket set, you MUST also change the front and rear "Rubber" valley seals too. In the process of changing / replacing the Valley seals (front and rear), there is a Blue gasket goo that needs to be applied to the valley seals. If the mechanic is doing the work, make certain that the front and rear seals are indeed replaced in the transaction and not overlooked.

To your other question, the fuel consumption, mine used to miss on a couple of cylinders due to running on water, so it isn't unreasonable to be getting less economy. I would probably advise giving your plugs and leads a once over too when the work is done to ensure they are in good nick.

Good luck

R

Roman Hans

check that there is no air in the system check water pump check to see that there is no build up or blockages in your pipes and in the radiator

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
Thermostat is stuck open causes overheating and hose to crack/blow under pressure loss of coolant,thermostat sits at back of engine just above inlet manifold behind throttle body so it could be that...look there at the hose when engines been running for 10 mins and see if it leaking.

Also get your coolant temp sensor replaced as well this sits at back of throttle body near thermostat and its probaly stuffed as well and this would give you crappy fuel economy plus get your o2 sensor replaced if it hasnt been done for a while...
To get all that done by mechanic would cost no more than $150

if thermostat hose is leaking then it would look like inlet manifole gaskets leaking.Do you get alot of steam or water out your exhaust if so then it would be inlet manifold...

look here...
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/reputation.php?p=355223