Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car is spastic

ange80rave

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Supercharged Commodore SPac Series II
Until i can get to a mechanic (thanks coronavirus). I am trying to self diagnose my car issues.

when i am driving my VY Supercharged L67 the car will get up to normal temp, If i turn on any accessories (lights, wiper blades, stereo, fan etc) the temperature guage rapidly fluctuates between normal and cold temp. Then the check engine light sometimes comes on.

I have noticed if i drive without any accessories on the temp stays at normal and the check engine light doesn't come on.

I have just replaced the battery thinking that was the issue but it didn't fix it.

Im wondering if it could be an alternator issue?

any help will be much appreciated.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
The car may be infected with corona virus... You may need to burn it... just kidding...

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Likely to be a loom issue (wires rubbing through and shorting somewhere) or something like the wiper/indicator stalk.

If you've got a multimeter you can test the battery, should read just under 14 volts with the car on and not jumping up or down or anything like that.

ange80rave

Reaction score
Members Ride
OK Guys still no luck getting it to a mechanic, i have since worked out that when it gets up to normal operating temperature the fans will try kick in and thats when the temp guage drops back to cold then fluctuates between cold and normal temp. When i pull over and turn the car off and back on the fans kick in and the engine warning sound doesn't come back on?

any thoughts?

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
check the temp sensor and its wiring if the temp sensor isn't connect the fans will run and the cel will be on

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Bleed the air out of the cooling system properly (not with the bleed screw)

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
check the temp sensor and its wiring if the temp sensor isn't connect the fans will run
This is likely your problem.
A quick check will show the scan data on the coolant sensor will show -40 degrees as a default reading when the coolant temp sensor is open circuit.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Just replace the temp sensor they are cheap, then make sure the wire connection is good / no breaks.

ange80rave

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks guys will just replace the temp sensor, now where is it? I have looked at the back of the engine where the thermostat goes under the supercharger but can't see it?

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
Under the thermostat housing.

VT V6 Supercharged ECT Sensor Location.jpg