Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car is stuck in limp mode

Zack Riley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina, VX XU6, VX Clubby, VE Sv6
Have you done checks on the afm first ?
Did that today. I cleaned it with some of the cleaning spray from supercheap. Its still doing it but not as bad. The car still wont go into overdrive, but that may be something else causing that. I managed to get it up to 100 on the freeway so that's a vast improvement over the 80 I could get before.

trel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VXII Equipe Wagon
It's the afm 100% mate. I know the RB motors very well... See if you can find a known working unit to borrow at first and I can almost certainly guarantee your issues will disappear. Failing that you can test your TPS with a multimeter as well and see the results. Generally it's those 2 things that are their common failure on RB. Does not sound like the CAS is playing up either.

Let us know of the outcome and if you fix it.

Last edited:

Zack Riley

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's the afm 100% mate. I know the RB motors very well... See if you can find a known working unit to borrow at first and I can almost certainly guarantee your issues will disappear. Failing that you can test your TPS with a multimeter as well and see the results. Generally it's those 2 things that are their common failure on RB. Does not sound like the CAS is playing up either.

Let us know of the outcome and if you fix it.

Thanks, I will try get some video of it. Just havnt had the chance. Atleast then its doccumented somewhere with what the exact signs of a problem are. Most of the issues I have had with fault finding are chasing dead links to the old Calais turbo forums.

Zack Riley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Swapped it with a known good AFM, still doing the same thing.

H

harrop.senator

2000 rpm is almost always the AFM.

Glad it's fixed now but!

Zack Riley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, I did swap the AFM with a known working one. Had the same issues. Swapped the trans computer and that fixed the issues I was having, noting at about the same time I lost the use of the power button. I'll invest in a new AFM I think, noting what I've read. $450 though for a new one.

H

harrop.senator

I wouldn't replace it til it's had it then I'd have it repaired.

Those and cas sensors are what kill the 30. A mate converted his distributor to a 33 crank angle sensor. It was a nightmare job but he said the Chinese ones were as reliable as 30 year old originals.

I never had much to do with 30's I always put twin cams in then lol.

H

harrop.senator

They sure are but I never bothered. 2-300k bottom ends and without rebuilding you'd be looking at $1000 in harness , head, manifolds , turbo , dump , filling the oil feed , doing the tensioners for the twin cam belt belt .

I grew up in the days of $5-800 rb20's with 100-150k , harnesses , computers and 160 psi across the board.

Rb25's 80-120k with all of the above for $12-1500.

Have played with some dets since and wouldn't bother with less then a 10k budget lol.