Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car keeps running rough on idle and acceleration

Drekko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore S series
Hi
I have had my vx commodore v6 running rough on idle and just a little rough on acceleration
So I changed the spark plugs myself

Still though the car is running rough
I took it to my mechanic and they changed the leads

Car ran fine for about 2 days. Then again it starts running rough again

Took it back to the mechanic and they saw a crack in one of the spark plugs
Now they are saying it's running rough because of the crack in the spark plug and I have done that when putting it in

I again ( for the third time ) said to them. The car was running rough for a long time before I changed them

Could something else be making the spark plugs crack and this could be the root cause?

Before I changed the spark plugs I googled this issue and found it might be the coils

As I saw a post with someone having similar problems. Running rough. ( worse when AC is running on both idle and acceleration )

Frank500

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Commodore 5.0
A cracked plug would cause a misfire, but I think it's highly unlikely that one of the old plugs and one of the new plugs were both cracked and caused exactly the same behaviour in the engine. Nothing other than damage on installation/removal would cause a plug to crack, other than it getting hit by someone doing some work in the engine bay - very unlikely.

There are many things that can cause rough idle and acceleration, I assume it's not showing any error codes?