Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car keys

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Yes agree that does sound a bit strange having to have 2 keys, the Holden stealership will rip you off and as above you can definitely get a new key for less than $600

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I had one cut yesterday at a locksmith for $177. Took him all of ten minutes to program, cut and test it.

Came with a Holden badge on the back just like a genuine one :p

lazyc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0 M6
The commo expects to store at least two keys.
If you don't store two keys it can have issues down the track
This is tech 2 and alike territory.

I have also seen a lock smith clone keys, unsure of the deal but it did work.
Maybe the above situation.

bgpzfm

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTSS LS1 +2010 VE SV6 LLT ute +1990 VG V6 ute
Whoa, JFTR I've just had the steering barrel lock and door lock replaced, a new key provided, and the spare key reprogrammed, for $600 AUD by a visiting locksmith on a VE SV6 ute after a key theft.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I'm just doing a quote right now. I'm quoting two keys only because it's a fleet car. But I will inform the customer that only one is needed.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Really, I took it to Holden thinking they know their stuff

They Know their stuff alright !!!
And know how to charge, like a wounded Bull, using BS !!!

Ernistine

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE SV6 3.6L
I had one cut yesterday at a locksmith for $177. Took him all of ten minutes to program, cut and test it.

Came with a Holden badge on the back just like a genuine one :p
Can I just take the key in or the whole car lol

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
The locksmith asked me to take the car in - but really they only need the key. The car was there only so he could test the fob after he had cloned the original key. I live in a country area so it was too far to walk anyway haha.

If you have Supercheap close you could drop down and get one of their MAP keys and the programming tool and do it yourself.

Check out the programming tool and video here.

The key is around 75 AUD and the programming tool $70 and you can program up to three keys with the tool before it "self destructs". So the DIY option is around $145. Then you need to get the blade cut.

I have heard conflicting stories about the MAP keys so for convenience and guaranteed workmanship I used the local locksmith.

Give the local locksmith a call - they will tell you what they need. If you can't move the car they can probably program the fob and if it doesn't work then take it back to them when you can get the car there.

I trust this helps.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
They need 2 car keys to reset the computer or something like that
Get the dealer to clearly explain, technically, why they need two keys (i'm curious). Then tell them you've got a bad memory so can they please write the reasons down so you can show them to your 6"4" husband... :eek:

Seriously, they must be able to clear all key ID's within the vehicle's system before they add back any key ID's, be they old or new. And if an owner doesn't want to fork out silly money for another new key, couldn't they add the old key twice... :rolleyes:

@lazyc, dont understand why the vehicle system wouldn't function with just the one key ID stored within. If there is such a requirement for 2 stored key ID's, surely there is a Holden/GM service doc on the subject which the dealer would be able to show concerned/questioning cutomers. If there is such a requirement for 2 key ID's to be strored within the vehicles system, then the dealer could store the same ID twice (based on the sloppy programing standards i'd expect Holden/GM to follow). Doing such would be somewhat like having the original key and a cloned key.. man be... .

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Pretty sure on most base model Commodores, a second key was an option.