Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car leaking water

countrylife

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VE SV6 2008 Sedan 3.6L
Hi there my vehicle is a 2008 Holden Commodore SV6. I have just noticed that it is leaking what seems to be water slightly oily not much. Maybe just plain water??? It's a water like substance that smells musty could this have anything to do with my radiator. I just recently replaced my radiator cap because I heard bubbling in my engine once when I stopped the car. The aircon is also having issues and when I replace the radiator cap it had no issues for a while that was really good but now just yesterday the aircon has stopped being cold again...its works on and off.. Now I'm seeing water leaking when I pull up or park, trust me don't say it's water from air con because I'm not using the air con anymore anyway. No.1 I'm trying to get down to the bottom of why my air-con wants to work one minute not the other, we've replaced the evaporator & I replaced radiator cap and the mechanic couldn't find anything else wrong ewth air con or to get it to play up when he had the car... so now it's playing up again and I'm losing water. I haven't used the aircon since started playing up again now the water problem? Or could it be coolant? Maybe I'm up for a new radiator, but temperature of car when driving it doesn't over heat????? HELP!!! This is crazy I'm over it. I'm worried about the losing water . And in a previous post I stated that the dash it's flaahing "check engine" this happened yesterday when my air con failed again. I will be getting it code read tomorrow.

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Get the codes read, and let us know.
You stated you aren't using air con at the moment, but is the compressor switched off?

countrylife

Reaction score
Members Ride
Get the codes read, and let us know.
You stated you aren't using air con at the moment, but is the compressor switched off?
That's correct haven't used the air con since yesterday 1pm. I've got all buttons switched off fan and the a/c button off, won't turn it on since I know there is an issue. Is that what you mean?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
That's correct haven't used the air con since yesterday 1pm. I've got all buttons switched off fan and the a/c button off, won't turn it on since I know there is an issue. Is that what you mean?
Yes.
The fluid you find on the ground, is it water or coolant?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The only place water can come from is ac or the washer bottle.

Note the location of the water. Mark where the car is parked with chalk. Note front wheels on the ground. Front of car.
Move the car and note where the water is.

There is many reasons why ac doesn’t work. A compressor clutch solenoid that is playing up could be something.
That’s a fairly cheap easy fix.

Low gas (or pressure) is another reason. As a safety precaution it stops the ac working. That can also be accompanied by hissing sounds (from the dash area) when the car is switched off.

Getting an evaporator replaced is a massive job and expensive. Everything out of the inside of the car comes out but the seats. Was this done?

Is the water clear, or pink?
It should be red/pink colour if it’s coolant.

The other thing it might be is brake fluid. That would have a ‘funny’ smell and clearish colour.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
STOP WRITING TITLES IN ALL CAPITALS!

If you are that concerned, take it to a dealership to get sorted.

countrylife

Reaction score
Members Ride
STOP WRITING TITLES IN ALL CAPITALS!

If you are that concerned, take it to a dealership to get sorted.
Sure thanks for letting me know sorry did know it was wrong. I've changed it anyway

countrylife

Reaction score
Members Ride
Can
The only place water can come from is ac or the washer bottle.

Note the location of the water. Mark where the car is parked with chalk. Note front wheels on the ground. Front of car.
Move the car and note where the water is.

There is many reasons why ac doesn’t work. A compressor clutch solenoid that is playing up could be something.
That’s a fairly cheap easy fix.

Low gas (or pressure) is another reason. As a safety precaution it stops the ac working. That can also be accompanied by hissing sounds (from the dash area) when the car is switched off.

Getting an evaporator replaced is a massive job and expensive. Everything out of the inside of the car comes out but the seats. Was this done?

Is the water clear, or pink?
It should be red/pink colour if it’s coolant.

The other thing it might be is brake fluid. That would have a ‘funny’ smell and clearish colour.
Coolant dead empty, can I add water into coolant area for now?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
NO. Add RED coolant and get it to your local mechanic or you WILL cook the engine.
Can you afford a new engine?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I watched a guy top up the cooling system in a VZ station wagon yesterday sitting in a carpark at a small shopping centre. It looked like at least 10 litres went into it...