Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Lowering

vxseries1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Hey guys,

im looking to get my VX exec lowered but i do not know where to start:bang:

im in melbourne and i was just wondering if anyone had recommendations (where, cost, etc)

cheers

vxseries1

black as

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have 2 cars VZ sv8 6 litre and VU ute 5.7 litre
Hey guys,

im looking to get my VX exec lowered but i do not know where to start:bang:

im in melbourne and i was just wondering if anyone had recommendations (where, cost, etc)

cheers

vxseries1

the best place Ive found and who knows what his talking about is Advantage Suspension in Moorabbin Ph 95552633

GILLO

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Berlina
Hey mate it depends on how low you want it.

Stock
FE2/Lows 30mm drop (Just Springs)
Super Lows 50mm - 65mm drop (Will need shorter shocks, springs, possibly camber kit)
Super Super Lows ???? drop (Shorter shocks, springs, camber kit)
SSSL/Ultra Lows ???? drop (Shorter shocks, springs, camber kit)

And may need a Wheel alignment for all

I believe the legal clearance from body to ground is 100mm (please correct me if i am wrong)

This is just about all i know, search around the threads there is heaps of threads about it.

AdamOne

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs wags
yeah lowest legal is 100mm, 99% sure. SSSL's arent legal height in most commodores i think, mine probably sits about 85-90mm off the ground with sssl's, SSL's are legal. as 98VTMAN said it all depends on how long you wanna go... in my opinion the lower the better :thumbsup:

Pete SS

Resident Pomme
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS M6
Becareful that you don't go too low or it'll be a pain to drive anywhere. It will look good though.

Have you thought about lowering it yourself? Online autosport are a good price if you want to take that route.

Johnny_VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Comm S2
My mechanic installs Kings Super Lows front and back for about $450 I think.
In the Scoresby area. If you want the details let me know.
That doesn't include shocks.
Direct from his mouth: "as long as you don't drive like a c0ck you wont need shortened shocks"

But if you think you drive like a c0ck, get the shocks :p lol

Last edited:

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Hey mate it depends on how low you want it.

Stock
FE2/Lows 30mm drop (Just Springs)
Super Lows 50mm - 65mm drop (Will need shorter shocks, springs, possibly camber kit)
Super Super Lows ???? drop (Shorter shocks, springs, camber kit)
SSSL/Ultra Lows ???? drop (Shorter shocks, springs, camber kit)

And may need a Wheel alignment for all

I believe the legal clearance from body to ground is 100mm (please correct me if i am wrong)

This is just about all i know, search around the threads there is heaps of threads about it.

Spot on mate...

Though you will need an alignment... any change to suspension needs it... noramally it is recommended to do it like 500km after getting the suspension done so it has time to setting in.

SSL are NOT legal they and SSSL springs are show springs... this goes back to the "2/3 suspension travel must be retained" rule. Though I haven't really heard of anyone getting hassled on that point.

In terms of shocks... you don't NEED shortened shocks... even with SSSL.

I had SSSL in a VX and pulling into a car wash driveway I had a wheel in the air and the spring didn't fall out.

BUT, you have to keep in mind that if you're shocks are not suited to the ride height, handling will not be as good as it can be and the shocks will wear out alot quicker.

So you can hold off getting me shocks will you're current ones wear out which will be soon anyway. :p

With L, SL and SSL you can get away with normal shortened shocks... once you get into SSSL territory, you want to start looking at a HD racing shock to handle the punishment it will get.

Since you have a VX Series one, a camber kit is basically a must with anything lower than and including SL unless you have a deep pocket for tyres... in particular if you have lower profiles.

VX Series two had the upgrade to the rear suspension and you can live without a camber kit with SL.

SSL and SSSL you really want a camber kit... period.

I think that basically covers it all... if you're keen... its not a VERY difficult job to change all 4 springs... just set aside a day for it. I swapped over springs, shocks and bushes on e30 318i in a day and a half first time doing it (they have a very similar suspension setup to the VX).

Just need the right tools.

If you go done this way... you can just get the springs which will set you back around 250. And changing rear shocks down the track is the easiest job in the world.

CHeers