Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car might be dodgy

BadJesse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VT
So after posting my 'Oil Leaking' Thread and receiving some amazing answers to my questions, i went down to the garage to go inspect the oil leak with my new knowledge.

So its leaking from the oil filter, no problem twisted as hard as i could and hopefully that will be the end of it, besides the minor leak from pan.

After solving this i thought my new found nugget might need a good sproose in the engine bay so i dived in with a wet cloth. After washing away i bumped the air intake thing that sits on-top of the radiator (that connects to the bottom of the air intake filter box) It was way too loose so i decided to pull it apart and fit it all back tight, Well you wouldnt believe what i saw. So much bloody dirt and bloody bugs in that filter it make me stand still for atleast a minute. After cleaning that sucker out for 10 minutes i thought to myself.. 'What else'. So i looked at the radiator cap thinking to myself i'll just check the levels and see if shes alright and guess what... the most gunky mud like substance ive ever seen came out of that radiator cap.. light brown, thick mud, blown away i just cleaned it out and put some new coolant in. I checked the oil levels its way below what it should be sigh.

After that i turned on the car and she was running better, i was revving her and a ticking sound was coming from the passenger side pipes that are connected to the engine that lead out to the exhaust pipe..?

I am so pissed i dont know weather to contact the dealership or fix it myself. I just got this car a few weeks ago, 1 yr warrenty. I also looked on the engine tab and its a 97 VTBK something? Is this a VT berlina? First off its not a 98 like the dealership told me, on the rego shes a 98 but the VIN says otherwise, also its got acclaim all over it.

So here is my issues and i appreciate anything i can get.

1. Mud in radiator.

2. Ticking sound on pipes leading out to exhaust.

3. Filter can be replaced?

4. Oil change needed?

Cheers guys, im devo'd

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
sounds like oil getting into your radiator? not mud...stuffed engine?

BadJesse

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VT
Should i expect that?

Could the radiator just be ****?

slowandlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
definately a warranty job...... if you have a warranty. and remember, the seller may be reluctant to deal with the issue at first. depends on the business ethics i guess

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
I am so pissed i dont know weather to contact the dealership or fix it myself. I just got this car a few weeks ago, 1 yr warrenty. I also looked on the engine tab and its a 97 VTBK something? Is this a VT berlina? First off its not a 98 like the dealership told me, on the rego shes a 98 but the VIN says otherwise, also its got acclaim all over it.

So here is my issues and i appreciate anything i can get.

1. Mud in radiator.

2. Ticking sound on pipes leading out to exhaust.

3. Filter can be replaced?

4. Oil change needed?

Cheers guys, im devo'd

Sounds to me the dealer wont be doing you any favors mate, and probably better off doing it yourself anyways (you learn that way)...

To fix the issues, I would first flush out the radiator and block with a hose using the method in the how too on this lovely site. I'd probably also change the radiator hoses at the same time. If the coolent is muddy chances are the system hasnt been flushed, and hoses changed in a long time... As long as there is no creamy substance you are pretty right.

Second, the ticking sound sounds to me like the rockers making noise, you said the oil was low... refer below.

Change the air filter, it takes 10 seconds, and will cost all of $12 bucks, don't bother with a performance filter, stock is good enough.

Finally, change the oil... It sounds to me like you might be suffering an oil presure problem, I would use the steps below as opposed to just "changing the oil". You will need some of that engine oil flush, and 15/40w diesel oil (for diesel cars/ light trucks etc...).

• First, pour the engine flush into the oil filler hole, run the engine for 15minutes at idle - the amount of crud this pulls out of the engine is amazing.
  • After letting the car idle for 15minutes, stop the car and remove the sump plug, drain the oil into an 8ltr drain pan. Do be careful as the oil will be hot.
  • Inspect the oil, no doubt you will find sludge, and metal shavings - don't be too alarmed though.
  • At this point you must, put the sump plug in and change the oil filter for a new one. Be sure to tip tiny bit of oil into the filter, and wet the rubber seal with oil before installing.
  • Grab the diesel oil purchased earlier and fill to the specified amount; drive the car like normal for the next 5000kms using this oil.
  • After approx 5000kms of using the diesel oil, head to autobarn and buy a performance oil, in the right weight for your engine. Then change the oil as above.

These steps might seem a little odd, but the diesel oil has a higher concentrate of detergent in the oil, using this oil will clean out all the shitty engine oil, sludge and leave the engine nice and clean.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Seriously, take it to the dealer who sold it to you BEFORE you touch it.

They are legally obliged to fix any issues.

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
Seriously, take it to the dealer who sold it to you BEFORE you touch it.

They are legally obliged to fix any issues.

You may need perserverance with this.
As we all know,Car dealers can be hard to deal with.
Good luck to ya man,Hope you get it sorted.