Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car moving Launceston area?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Not sure if we have anyone else in the Launi area, but I'm looking for a cheaper way to get a broken down VR wagon to my house, 3hrs away depending on route. So far the best price I have is $430. Factor in another $150 for the car and I might as well buy parts from the wreckers as the wagon has been sitting a long time and is not worth much more than $300.

I was hoping that there might be someone who just does this as side job.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Not sure if we have anyone else in the Launi area, but I'm looking for a cheaper way to get a broken down VR wagon to my house, 3hrs away depending on route. So far the best price I have is $430. Factor in another $150 for the car and I might as well buy parts from the wreckers as the wagon has been sitting a long time and is not worth much more than $300.

I was hoping that there might be someone who just does this as side job.

Can't hire a trailer and grab it yourself ?

Old mate @Deuce just did similar himself.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
dunno it's $120 for 24hrs and last time I towed a car I hated it. Only ever done it once and it didn't feel safe. A wagon is heavier than my ute plus another 800kg with the trailer. I'd have to go the long way 3hrs each way. No way I would risk the back way too steep and too windy.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
$200 to get it home would make it a viable purchase. Just don't know that I could find anyone to do it for that? I knew a earth moving bloke once who used to come my way to cut wood. He had a truck and a float for his bobcat but I can't find his number anywhere online and local business' say they have heard the name but that's it.

Deuce has a V8 with brake upgrades. Not sure how my little V6 with stock brakes would handle the job.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Towing capacity of my ute is 1200kg. Combined weight of wagon and trailer 2100kg, 900kg heavier.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I used to put up garages many years ago and had to tow all the components behind a hg ute. Had the power but stopping was hairy. Don't do it, could well wind up with tears.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Another option would be if the car is able to be towed is to use an a frame. That's of course if you can find one. Certainly would be a lot safer.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I mentioned in another thread i have permission to bring it to where i live during the week. That means a 15km tow. I am thinking if i can get it here i can either get it running and drive it on a permit or get some weight off it and trailer it home.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Towing a car on a trailer is a personal thing......I have towed quite a few cars over the years.....One was a VB Commodore, which I bought from Portland Vic and towed it back to Adelaide.....Was a day trip there and back, sitting on 130 KPH in places (yeah naughty I know), but my car trailer is beautiful to tow.....Another was a Centura from Port Lincoln to Adelaide.....

The biggest load was a 1964 Big Block Dodge Phoenix behind a 1976 Valiant......Towed that 50 kays with no dramas.....But in saying all this, some people hate towing period, so the best bet is get it from point A to point B some other method, which makes you feel comfortable

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I reckon I feel ok about getting it the 15km to the church. I am gonna price up a tow truck but will probably trailer it myself. Plan is to get it here and then figure out how to get it to my own place within the month. Towing a 2.2T trailer 3hrs isn't something I really want to try. Even though I tow my work trailer a lot, that's only 1200kg when maxed out, which is rare these days.
If I was well rehearsed at it i would have no problem, lack of experience with big heavy trailers is what makes me ambivalent.