Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car nerds I need ya help!!!

SLIPPRY

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 navara
Hi there everyone, I am in need of a little guidance, I have an 89 navara with a 3.8l manual out of a vn in it. I have saved up $5000 and wanted to give it a birthday of a single turbo setup running as much boost as possible! I have no idea where to start or what exactly is required to boost the old girl but I refuse to just roll it into a shop and spend twice as much as I have to. The motor is stock at the moment. I am a boiler maker so I can fab any pipes required ect. I know this is a big ask but if someone could please help me out with mabe a list of parts required and mabe good places suggestions on where to buy them I would be extremely greatful and could finally get this show on the road :) thanks nerds lol

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
grab a stock drivers side manifold from the wreckers, turn it upsidedown and install on the passenger side. weld on a turbo flange and there is your turbo manifold. being a boilermaker im sure you know the tricks to welding cast iron.

plumbing will require a pod filter for the end of the turbo (depending on engine bay space) and an alloy pipe fab'd up to the mouth of your intake. weld an exhaust extension to meet up with the old exhaust system. then weld up a dump pipe from the bypass valve (depending on your choice of turbo of course) to the exhaust around a foot downstream.

then get a MAFless tune, running a decent 2 bar or so MAP sensor and then power runs on the dyno to figure out the sweet spot without trigegring the knock sensors.

lol, thats all from an inexpierenced backyarder.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
grab a stock drivers side manifold from the wreckers, turn it upsidedown and install on the passenger side. weld on a turbo flange and there is your turbo manifold. being a boilermaker im sure you know the tricks to welding cast iron.

plumbing will require a pod filter for the end of the turbo (depending on engine bay space) and an alloy pipe fab'd up to the mouth of your intake. weld an exhaust extension to meet up with the old exhaust system. then weld up a dump pipe from the bypass valve (depending on your choice of turbo of course) to the exhaust around a foot downstream.

then get a MAFless tune, running a decent 2 bar or so MAP sensor and then power runs on the dyno to figure out the sweet spot without trigegring the knock sensors.

lol, thats all from an inexpierenced backyarder.

^^^ What he said

SLIPPRY

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 navara
That's a sweet idea for the turbo manifold bro! Cheers. And yea thanks for the other information also it's a great help

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Except the vn has MAP sensor and no MAF standard. You will have to run oil feed and oil return, bigger injectors and a bigger fuel pump too.

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
and you kind of need exhaust feed from the drivers side bank.

BoostObsession | Parts - all the parts you could need to fab your own set of decent manifolds.

3800 Turbo - For all you need to know about turbos on Commodore V6's.

Last edited:

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Except the vn has MAP sensor and no MAF standard. You will have to run oil feed and oil return, bigger injectors and a bigger fuel pump too.

ah true? thats handy, does the map do + pressure tho?

the bigger injectors/pump are not 100% necessary as you can bump up the fuel pressure with a rising rate FPR and just tweak the tune a little. if he is doing a stock internal build, then he wont be able to dump much more pressure in the cylinders anyway, so he can get away with stockies for a little while.

but yeah the oil lines and possibly water lines can be a touch tricky. my mate fitted a remote oil filter and ran the lines to and from that. water lines were just tapped into the heater hoses.

some turbs dont have water line tho.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
ah true? thats handy, does the map do + pressure tho?

the bigger injectors/pump are not 100% necessary as you can bump up the fuel pressure with a rising rate FPR and just tweak the tune a little. if he is doing a stock internal build, then he wont be able to dump much more pressure in the cylinders anyway, so he can get away with stockies for a little while.

but yeah the oil lines and possibly water lines can be a touch tricky. my mate fitted a remote oil filter and ran the lines to and from that. water lines were just tapped into the heater hoses.

some turbs dont have water line tho.

Yeh the remote oil filter would work well, you can get a spacer to fit between the oil filter and its mounting surface too.

I am yet to turbo a V6, but i am planning to and have been reading up on it heaps. The oil return I would imaging could be tricky. You may have to remove the sump and drill a hole and tap it for a fitting for the hose to fit onto, I heard a rumor there might be a factory bung in the block and there could very well be one as the buick is used in the states for a factory turbo model. Anyway i will believe it when i see it.

There are lots of other pit falls to like putting one way valves in the PCV line so you dont pressurize the crank case and spew oil out of the gaskets.

Some people use L67 injectors ( 3800 v6 supercharged motor ) You might be able to use the factory ones, but I wouldn't advise it. The fastest way to kill an engine bar throwing sand in the oil cap is to lean it out. Put it this way, we had 4 hours of fun in my mates plus T Rb25de with facotry fuel pump and non turbo ECU before the engine bay was covered in more oil than the golf of mexico and running on 5 cylinders. Still dicked on my commy though :D

I would like to know if you can turbo ecotecs without a Map sensor, I dont see why you can't because turbo Rb's dont have a map and just a MAF. Well, welcome to the wonderful world of cars though. One thing that works on one car wont necessarily work on another.