Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

car not starting, only way to start is jump start, it has a new battery.

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
Alright this isn't a commodore its an old falcon, battery was going flat cause the car was just sitting around, took it out to charge it, fully charged it and now it wont start, just goes clunk, i know thats not very helpful but its fkn frustrating, it will start with a jumpstart though, its got me fkd, checked all the fuses and all connections seem ok

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
How old is the battery? If it's a few years old it may be buggered and not taking charge any more. If it has water, make sure it's topped up. (some you do, the sealed type you can't). Make sure the terminals clean and connected properly.

Reaper

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Alright this isn't a commodore its an old falcon, battery was going flat cause the car was just sitting around, took it out to charge it, fully charged it and now it wont start, just goes clunk, i know thats not very helpful but its fkn frustrating, it will start with a jumpstart though, its got me fkd, checked all the fuses and all connections seem ok

Battery has dropped a cell.

Your thread title compared to what you say is funny... "New Battery" But at the end of the day you just charged it.

You can have a dead battery that is fully charged an reads 12.1V But if it's dropped a cell, It doesnt have the amperage.

Cheers
Mat

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Both batteries you have used are rooted, get a new battery and problem fixed.

Don't assume a battery has enough CCA just because you wack a multi-meter on it and its says 12+ volts.

And to be 100%, just remove the battery from the car that is jump starting you and see if that one works in your ford.

My guess is that it will.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Have to agree that swapping the battery over with the one in the donor car you jumped from is a good call. Easy way to diagnose battery or car issue. Also wondering if it could be an earth problem. Had a similar problem myself. I could use a jumper cable from the battery to the block to start it, then the earth was still good enough to keep it running (sort of), just not good enough to carry the current required for starting. New earth lead and it was all good. Well that's the short version of my probs.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I think they had a history of dud connections/cable size on the big red starter cable from battery terminal to starter and also the starter motor itself.