Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Car not starting when warm

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
i dont understand the tacho jumping up a thousand or so revs when its really trying hard. takes a good 5 seconds of cranking at least before the tacho moves. might go over all the grounds when i get the chance

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
torque power dual plane
torque power dual plane
torque power dual plane
torque power dual plane
torque power dual plane
torque power dual plane torque power dual plane
torque power dual plane
torque power dual plane

lol, manifold leaks can cause all sorts of weird arse problems and hot starting is one of them. bouncing map signals is another, backfiring is another, OH whats that you say? he has had all of those problems? hmmm.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Mike, this may seam way out of left field, but check what your alternator is charging at. I've had this problem with my ute, pretty much displaying the same symptoms as your car (map sensor voltage up the ****, backfiring, tacho jumping etc), turns out the alternator is overcharging at 14.5 volts. Might seam like a long shot, but it's worth a try....

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i'd also be checking the battery and charging systems. my VN does weird things when it had a flat battery. i.e the missus loves leaving on the headlights (thank **** for the BCM in the VS :) ) the most interesting was the tacho going nuts when trying to start altough the engine didn't want to turn over at all

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
think i might have found it. one of the connections on the negative terminal seemed a little loose, so i tightened it up. went from no sign of starting, to starting after a couple of cranks, so hopefully that was it. i decided to look here when i could smell burning and smoke when cranking. saw a bit of smoke coming from melted plastic on this cable at the connector.

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
if that doesn't do it, i read in another thread about the resistance in the wire to the starter growing when it gets hot especially older wiring, when it cools, it goes back to normal. shielding it or replacing it might help

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
well the wire was bloody hot as well, which is what caused ot to start smoking up near the terminal. saw it coming out the bonnet while cranking, so popped the bonnet and saw the terminal smoking.