Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car of the Future plan sucks.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Tsunamix, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Tsunamix

Tsunamix Active Member

Members Ride:
    VT 2
    I've been mulling over the future plans for the v8 SC and I think the Silhoutte idea will turn people away in droves.

So A workmate and I came up with this set of parameters.

Make the engines relevant to many more people
    - 6 cylinder series.
    Make Engine technology relevant and encourage engine innovation
    - Allow forced induction, at a penalty of reducing allowable capacity
    - Allow any configuration of 6 cylinder
    - No Alternatives to 6 cylinder (Much as I like rotaries, it would be too hard to add)
    - Limit the type of fuel used
    - Limit the air induction to the engine by using a set size restrictor for all engines
    - no limits on engine modifications other than factory configuration and factory crankshaft
    Make chassis and chassis innovation relevant.
    - allow FWD RWD and 4WD, no 4W steering.
    - Minimum Weight for all chassis, not including driver.
    - Weight penalties for RWD and 4WD, such that FWD Weight > RWD > 4WD
    Don't stifle innovation. No caps on dollars spent.
    Don't expect 100% parity. Allow innovation to filter through to everyday users. Win on Sunday, sell on Monday philosophy reflects manufacture involvement in the end user market.
    - No limits on Gearbox ratios or qty, diff ratios.
    - Brake systems to reflect technology on the production car IE - No carbon Fibre / ceramic discs on a Ford Falcon.
    Introduce a new equalizing factor (to a certain extent) - Fuel Efficiency.
    - Limit the fuel available for consumption in any given race. This is not to make it a fuel efficiency competition, but simply though you cant sacrifice fuel economy for extra performance. Make manufacturers look for efficiency gains for more than just performance reasons.
    Tyres to be limited by the weight of the vehicle, such that a set total width of tyre can be used. For example - 20" total width of tyre per side to be used on the vehicle. A RWD vehicle may choose to run 10" front and 10"rear. a FWD vehicle may choose to run 12" front and 8" rear.
    - Open choice of tyre manufacturer.
    - no limits on tyre changes.
    - minimum 1 tyre change per race.

This is a far as I've got. Comments and questions appreciated.

2. soop

soop Banned

Members Ride:
    2003 SS Commodore Series II
    All makes good sense.
    I just think 8cylinders would attract more attention.
    I personally think your guide should be applied to an improved production series. Much like group C.

3. ari666

ari666 250,000 hits

Members Ride:
    1966 impala, R32 GTR
  4. CSP

CSP Banned

Members Ride:
    my car
    Making the cars/engines/etc "more relevant to people is beside the point. The point is for most people, motorsport is boring and pointless. You can't change that, it's fact. The problem is keeping motorsport interesting for the fans, which V8 Supercars is hopeless at doing. It's one of the most boring categories around. The cars are practically the same and the second any team innovates a new idea, it's either not allowed or has to be homologated into the entire series. Make the supposed number 1 category of motorsport in Australia more interesting, and more fans will come out of the woodwork.

Controversy, intrigue, development, secrecy, guessing games, etc... Why the hell is Formula 1 so popular? Because it has all those things.

5. Bravotwozero

Bravotwozero New Member

Members Ride:
    MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
    I agree with CSP on most of the above. I stopped watching when they went to a control tyre as I felt it was becoming too much like Nascar. Bring back Group A I say!

6. schrinky

schrinky New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Commodore Executive 9C1
    the other problem with the V8 Supercars is that they are nothing like Falcons and Commodores, the only parts that have the same shape are the front doors, bonnet and front and rear lights, the only pieces that are still original are the lights, the rest of it is all carbon fiber and light weight stuff, bring back drive to race friday, race sat/sun, sell on monday like the old days. just strip out an SS or XR8, do some brake mods, engine mods if you want, but make it more fun, none of this NASCAR crap!

7. STEEV888

STEEV888 New Member

Members Ride:
    '95 200sx.
    its all the same to reflect each drivers skill. if you were an awesome driver but could not afford to make your car better than the other guy who is a **** driver.. wouldnt you hate life ? he is taking glory because he has money and you worked your arse off for years for this.
    (yeah i know big sponsers and endless cash but it isnt the point i was trying to make)
    if this is done there will be too many variables on the outcome of a race and it would provide a constant winner and people wouldnt want to watch it because there is no point
    something that reminds me the most of this is the bathurst 24/12 hour they have like 8 different classes and its always a good watch

8. minux

minux Infidel Bear

Members Ride:
    300rwkw FG G6ET/Specialized Tarmac SL4
    bring back mainstream production racing. Buy it on friday, race it on sunday, sell it on monday. If i want glamour racing I will watch F1. Watching real cars race and seeing obvious advantages and disadvantages of each car at different tracks is what is fun.

9. gslrallysport

gslrallysport Active Member

Members Ride:
    VZ AWD One Tonner
    Rally FTW :D

10. old mate

old mate New Member

Members Ride:
    VB Sedan / GU Patrol
    i watch wrc over anything else these days. its good to see the cars moving around.

11. Darren_L

Darren_L Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VH SS
    I used to love the old Grp C & Grp A rules, I watched every race without fail. Since V8 Supercars has evolved, I find myself maybe watching a couple of races a year, including Bathurst. I've fairly much lost all interest as the cars aren't Commodores or Falcons, and I'd like to see some variety of manufacturers re-introduced back into the field. I now spend more time watching back to basics, production based car racing at my local race track, Morgan Park.

my plan would be bring back the old group A rules (with some changes)

-allow production 4 door sedans of all makes & models eligible, which are available for sale in Australia from manufacturer (excluding exotic supercars which fit into the GT category)
    -car is powered by the same engine & driveline that was available from the manufacturer, (limited performance & strengthening/endurance modifications - within set guidelines permitted)
    -factory dash (aftermarket instruments permitted), steering column, and drivers seat position
    -OEM suspension components to be retained, excluding shocks, springs and sway bars
    -in car adjustable suspension not permitted
    -all factory panels & chassis to be retained, with only minimum safety modifications where necessary
    -minimalistic homolagation aero kit
    -homolgated CAMS approved roll cage
    -brake upgrades permitted (steel rotor upgrades only, no fibre or ceramic upgrades)

12. soop

soop Banned

Members Ride:
    If you think the WRC are "real" cars you're fooling yourself. They're further removed from the real thing then the V8SC is.

13. Jezza

Jezza Ecotec Just Kicked In!

Members Ride:
    VYII Acclaim
    i also agree with this

14. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Random

Members Ride:
    2016 Golf GTI PP
    I much prefer watching the V8 Ute racing to the V8 SCs for many of the reasons people have stated. It's much more interesting IMO.

15. soop

soop Banned

Members Ride:
    I agree, the V8 utes are Fantastic.
    Seen the V8SC and the utes at winton earlier this year, We left after about 5 laps of the V8SC, the support events were more entertaining.

16. old mate

old mate New Member

Members Ride:
    VB Sedan / GU Patrol
    never said they are 'real cars' its just good to watch. i'd love to have a ride in one.

darran_l has what i want in one. except for 4 door limitations.

17. ausrs

ausrs New Member

Members Ride:
    00 SS M6/79 chev Monza
    watch the autobarn series want to see cars moving around ,real cars ,real drivers NO television coverage :(

YouTube - 2010 Muscle Car Masters - 68 Mustang Coupe - Fraser Ross!

i find v8 stupidcars boring and not worth watching ,let alone going to one of the concrete canyon racetracks they appear to like racing at !

do away with the telemetry let the drivers actually do the set up through their feel of the car NOT have a computer tellthem how to drive it,maybe then we will see another real crop of drivers like Moffat ,Brock ,Skaife etc .....and the after race winning speeches ,lets bring some interest in them (Jim Richards "your all a pack of arseholes " comes to mind )
    it is way to sterile ,even F! have moved away from the sterility that surrounded it for many years !
    make it actually interesting instead of them all driving around in Falcadores !

18. Reaper

Reaper Tells it like it is.

Members Ride:
    RG Z71 Colorado, VZ LX8 Adventra, VP SS
    Then you get EvoXXXV (or whatever number they are up to) filling up the first 9 places and even more boring racing.

Fail.

Reaper

19. Tsunamix

Tsunamix Active Member

Members Ride:
    VT 2
    I don't think you can increase the fan base without making the series 'relevant' to the greater public. Pandering to fans, just keeps the current fans happy, which can only get smaller through natural attrition. At best it's a static holding action it can't grow the fan base.

To make it exciting you need close - ish racing. Not 'so close there is no overtaking' but similair lap times, using different methods. Faster on the straights versus faster in corners. Braking later versus faster out of corner acceleration. Many Recipes, similair results.

Hence the idea of a opening it up, encouraging innovation and only penalising a racer when they get so absolutley dominant that it becomes a procession. Remember the BMW m3 vs Robbie Francevics Volvo vs Skaifes Skyline vs Moffatt's RX7 vs Grices Commodore vs DJ's Falcon ? Many recipes, similair results. Only I chose a 6 cylinder category so that technical gains will far more easily translate to marketable technologies for the manufacturer. It will encourage them to go racing.

Oh and bring back cigarette sponsorship. Motor racing is risky, advertising a risky habit or vice seems appropriate. It also garuntees advertising dollars out the wazoo. And don't give me rubbish about glamorizing smoking - Hell you can buy coca cola everywhere, it carries risk with its high sugar recipe, and no-ones tried to ban it for glamorizing soft drink consumption. By the time we are adults, you know smoking can kill you, and only adults can buy cigarettes.

20. minux

minux Infidel Bear

Members Ride:
    300rwkw FG G6ET/Specialized Tarmac SL4
    Thats a bad thing how? It means local manufacturers here have to lift their game.