Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car only starts when aggressively kicking the accelerator.

c_mcb03

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
My vx calais has been having starting issues and only will unwantingly start when I kick the accelerator with great aggression. I have today just replaced the fuel pump. Any ideas ?

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
Can I ask how u figured out stomping the go pedal helps to start your car? Also what made you change fuel pump? I’m assuming your pump failed but works now? More info needed to solve this one, like is the pump priming, are you confident all was assembled properly and all fuses are alright?

c_mcb03

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Fuses were checked everything is perfect, every relay with any possible reasoning to the issue has been replaced. I replaced the fuel pump because I noticed a lack of fuel whilst driving and was advised by a mechanic that was the issue. It was not. I have new coil packs and sparks on the way, spark plugs seemed fine but it won’t hurt to replace them. I have a pod intake which I thought could potentially be the issue, too much air in the ratio, although the issue occurred long after that was installed. I’ve checked all of the throttle body sensors and cleaned the sensors and throttle body. No blockage or grease buildup inside the plenum. My only other ideas are an crank angle sensor, injectors or fuel pressure regulator.

c_mcb03

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Fuses were checked everything is perfect, every relay with any possible reasoning to the issue has been replaced. I replaced the fuel pump because I noticed a lack of fuel whilst driving and was advised by a mechanic that was the issue. It was not. I have new coil packs and sparks on the way, spark plugs seemed fine but it won’t hurt to replace them. I have a pod intake which I thought could potentially be the issue, too much air in the ratio, although the issue occurred long after that was installed. I’ve checked all of the throttle body sensors and cleaned the sensors and throttle body. No blockage or grease buildup inside the plenum. My only other ideas are an crank angle sensor, injectors or fuel pressure regulator.
Update spark plugs went in today, didn’t fix the issue but that were black as hell. Coil packs next.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Leaking injectors filling the cylinders while the engine is off, When you go full throttle to start it the ECU enters flood clear mode whichs stops the injectors from firing, burns the existing fuel in the cylinders then starts the injectors again.

Thats the reason it only starts when you kick it in the guts.

c_mcb03

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Leaking injectors filling the cylinders while the engine is off, When you go full throttle to start it the ECU enters flood clear mode whichs stops the injectors from firing, burns the existing fuel in the cylinders then starts the injectors again.

Thats the reason it only starts when you kick it in the guts.
So replace the injectors ?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
So replace the injectors ?

I'd get someone to properly confirm the diagnosis in person, it's not a good idea to just replace stuff until you find the problem.

Also if you do replace the injectors, make sure you get a genuine bosch set from a reputable store (not an ebay store that sells "bosch") otherwise you'll have a heap more problems than just leaky injectors.

Last edited:

c_mcb03

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Alright Thankyou. That’s the most useful info I’ve heard.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Next time you need to start your car, turn on the ignition (to reds) but don't try and activate the starter for 15-20 seconds. See if that results in any improvement.