Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car overheating?? / thermo fan not working

Endz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive
Sitting at the servo tonight waiting to get fuel, an noticed smoke comming out of my centre aircon vents, then looked over at my temperature and it was neer the top, so i popped the bonnet to fid that the thermo fan was not on. I tried changing my horn fuse with the fan fuse & it still did not work. So i let my car cool down for abit before i drove it home, then on the way home when sitting at the lights it would get very hot but when driving it would cool down to average, i recently replaced the terminals could i have disturbed something ? Or could my fan have **** itself, anyone got any suggestions? Havent had a problem like this before.. Thank you! Its a 92 VP if it helps

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
you can test your fan directly off the car battery to see if its pooped its pants or not...

if youve messed around with it recently make sure you didnt accidentally bend or mess up one of the connecting prongs for the thermo fan plugs. make sure there making contact. think someone else on here had a similar problem, all he has to do was bend the connector back to shape so it would make contact.

also the car has 2 temp gauges one for the dash cluster and one for the ECM. it might be the one for the ECM has failed. if you undo your drive belt and lift up your alternator its right there, has a blue square head same shape as the one for your fuel injectors. if the first 2 things dont work it may need replacing...

Endz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive
you can test your fan directly off the car battery to see if its pooped its pants or not...

if youve messed around with it recently make sure you didnt accidentally bend or mess up one of the connecting prongs for the thermo fan plugs. make sure there making contact. think someone else on here had a similar problem, all he has to do was bend the connector back to shape so it would make contact.

also the car has 2 temp gauges one for the dash cluster and one for the ECM. it might be the one for the ECM has failed. if you undo your drive belt and lift up your alternator its right there, has a blue square head same shape as the one for your fuel injectors. if the first 2 things dont work it may need replacing...

Thanks alot for the help, will try this tomorrow and let you know how i go!

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Check the fan fuse next to the relays.

Endz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive
I cleaned up all the connections and its working fine now, i think it was just a pooor connection somewhere, thanks guys