Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car playing silly buggers charge issue or something

omaz78

PUSSY LIQOUR
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy berlina
I had same problem few months back i got new regulater (the bushes were fine in my other one and looked ok) and changed the fusible link (brown wire on battery) and havnt had a problem since, my light use to come on it was driving me crazy and at night driving with the lights on when battery light came on lights would either dim or they would go brighter ? dont know why but all fixed now.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
ok bit the bullet and bought a new regulator. As omaz78 stated i've already had the old regulator out and it looked ok but you never know so i'll chuck this new one in and we'll report on how it turns out

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Ok I've done the regulator I think the original was little worse than i expected it looked under torch light when i pulled it out the first time and had nothing to compare it too. Against a new one its looks quite rooted bushes are approximately half the lengtrh of the new ones and the other terminals and **** looks quite dirty and old.
Alternator has atag saying it was reco'd in september 2001 so hopefully with a new regulator itll be fine

Attachments

• Photo0245.jpg
    Photo0245.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 223
  • Photo0246.jpg
    Photo0246.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 168

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
So far so good havent had any cases of the light coming on yet drove it with headlights on might be just just a placebo effect but to me they seem brighter than before too. Will update later in the week to see if it has gone for good.

Well it brings total cost of things fixed on the wagon to about $85 which is good for a $300 car with 350,000+ on the clock done about 5000k's myself since ive owned which im very happy about

hj to vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore berlina
Engine conked out

Hello. Well proud owner of 96 C'dore Berlina with just 40000ks on it . MINT cond!!. The car has obsoleted all self taught mechanical knowledge. (upgraded from HJ that had for 19 years). Car has twice shown all warning lights and let me drive home on battery. But then won't start. Can jump-start from booster, and no lights come on on dashboard, runs perfect. Then it happened again today, with 3 kids in the rain!. have checked battery all good, checked charge circuit ; all good. WHY is this happening: hoping fo a simple answer!!??

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Hello. Well proud owner of 96 C'dore Berlina with just 40000ks on it . MINT cond!!. The car has obsoleted all self taught mechanical knowledge. (upgraded from HJ that had for 19 years). Car has twice shown all warning lights and let me drive home on battery. But then won't start. Can jump-start from booster, and no lights come on on dashboard, runs perfect. Then it happened again today, with 3 kids in the rain!. have checked battery all good, checked charge circuit ; all good. WHY is this happening: hoping fo a simple answer!!??

Mate sounds exactly like what mine did. It seems battery and charge were fine but it wasnt when light was on.
Your case is almost a carbon copy of what happening to mine ive done probably 50k's since new regulator and it all seems fine now.
I suggest replacing the regulator its cheap and easy to do by yourself and will most likely fix your problem

hj to vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore berlina
Ok. seems good place to start. Is it worth checking the error code thingy? not that the HJ had one but might as well start finding my way around. Maybe take the day off work and get the bike out tomorrow (in the rain). Thanks for reply!

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Umm battery light issue wont show up in error codes i checked mine and there was nothing listed. It's denetily a goos place to start your car is more than likely on the original alternator and the bushes are probably quite worn like mine were.

Just been ut for another drive no issues so about 8 start ups now it normally would have shown up so things are looking good