Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Prang - Getting Ripped Off

owen18

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
Hey Guys,

So i was driving my mums ford focus to work, found a park, parked crooked and backed up to straighten up. Didnt look where i was backing up and tow bar hit a old beat up VN/VP driving part.

Got out to inspect the damage, and all i had done is bumped is rear bumper off from the side, all that was broken were the clips holding it on and they lay on the floor.
So we pretty much both agree that its just the clips and couple screws had come out form near the number plate and he said dont worry we'll work something out. Got his name, number etc and he got mine. Being my first ever prang i didnt take any photos or get a witness or nething and just left it at that.

Later that day he text me saying, its the clips and now apparently the bumpers torn. I said well it wasnt torn when i looked at it so im not paying for it. He said if i gave him $200 bucks we'll call it a day and i said nah thats too much mate you can get me three quotes for insurance.

Next day i rang and said id give him $100 bucks coz thats probably more than enough and id even help him fix. He didnt wanna hear it and said ive taken a chunk out of his rim and to fix just the rim would be $580. Now this is an old VP with dings everywhere in it with shithouse rims that i didnt really take notice of the time, but i didnt hit it.
SO i told him to get f**ked and give me three quotes of everything.

Anyway went down to cop shop to report it all, and the cop told me that he had apprantly reported over $4000 worth of damages. Anyway it went in report that he had offered me $200 so how could he possibly claim $4000!!!.

I spoke to my insurance company and they said they will look at the quotes and if they seem unreasonable they will only give them what its worth. But i dont wanna pay my huge excess for about $100 worth of damage.
I havent heard from him about any quotes or anything so im just going to avoid him until he gets me the quotes.

Anyway sorry for the essay. I dont mind paying for the damage i caused, but im not about to get ripped off. Any advice on what i should do?? If i tell him im only giving him $100 bucks and hes not happy what will happen. If he takes me to court will the maximum i have to pay be my excess for insurance, or the whole lot? If he wins of course.
If anyones been in similar situations let me know, any advice or idea about whats going to happen would be great.

P.S. sorry if wrong section

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Did he send that 'call it 200 and were even' in a text? and if so, did the cops view this text message. If so, you should be ok.

Either way, if its a beat up VN/P, you hit his car, so you have to deal with the consequences. I hate nothing more than someone scamming extra's out of someones insurance tho.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
lol - I'd have given him the $200 and called it quits. See if you can still do it, if not let the insurance company sort it out.

Reaper

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Most insurance policies have a clause which basically says they will work out what the settlement will be, regardless of what either of you say - so not sure how relevant that SMS will be.

If they do pay out, and the amount is less than your excess, I believe you will just be paying for the amount paid out. Eg your excess is $1000, but the claim is only $200, you just pay that $200.

owen18

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
nah it wasnt in a text it was over the phone.
like i said i dont mind paying for the damage but im not being ripped off, my fault or not!!
the bumper didnt need replacing there was nothing wrong with the bumper just the clips
and my excess is close to $1000 so i hope what u said is right danja,

he said he'll have the quotes to me by wednesday gone but havent heard from him yet

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Simple. No quotes, no deal.

The longer he takes getting them to you, the better, (in theory), unless of course he gets three "mates" to provide grossly inflated or bullshit quotes.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Shoulda just paid the $200. It was your fault, even if the damage wasn't there, its like a $200 fine for showing ignorance and not looking where you reverse.

What if a little kid had been behind your car or something? Next time please pay attention.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yeah gees, if you can get out of hitting someones car for 200 you take it then and there, even a tiny tiny tiny scratch costs more than that to fix